Heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I use a water heater meant to be used in a twenty gallon or higher in a FIVE gallon? The heater has a dial to set on a specific temperature so I thought I MIGHT work. Has anyone had a experience with this? I can't afford a new heater at the moment. Thanks for any input!

Can I use a water heater meant to be used in a twenty gallon or higher in a FIVE gallon? The heater has a dial to set on a specific temperature so I thought I MIGHT work. Has anyone had a experience with this? I can't afford a new heater at the moment. Thanks for any input!

sure can!(y)(y)

jetajockey said:
I regularly run 100w heaters in 5g-10g tanks just because that's what I have available, it's fine if you really trust the heater. I use Jagers btw, they are awesome.

Great stuff! My shrimp will thank y'all. How submersed does a heater have to be? Can I just stick it straight up or should I run it diagonal in order to submerse as much as possible? Thanks again for the input guys! Oh p.s. Straight up the heater pokes out almost two inches

Absolutely.... so long as you have the proper water coverage of the element. What you don't want to do is use an under-rated heater, say a 50W in a 55gal. The heater will never shut off and burn itself out, but the other way around is just fine.

Great stuff! My shrimp will thank y'all. How submersed does a heater have to be? Can I just stick it straight up or should I run it diagonal in order to submerse as much as possible? Thanks again for the input guys! Oh p.s. Straight up the heater pokes out almost two inches

We both posted at the same time..... read my post above. Most heaters have a safety shut-off, but if it says "submersible", then I'd set it at an angle to cover it.

My shrimp thank you all. I'm at work so I'll have to check if it's fully submersible when I get home but I'd imagine a heater with dial isn't. Once again thank y'all very much!

Just ghost shrimp. I do like them though and I'm using them as a learning experience before I invest in a more expensive shrimp.

So the heater is a hydor 200 watt heater and it says it's fully submersible and has a minimal submersion line. I'll have to clean it more before I put it in and it'll have to be diagonal in order to have it low enough in the water but I'm just glad I can use it

If anything, it will reduce the life of the heater from constantly clicking on and off as it will heat the water so rapidly.

most shrimp prefer cooler water you probably wont need a heater in georgia till late november
you can use the big heater if you want, but NEVER leave it half in/half out of the water. the minimum water line is not a joke. glass heaters will crack and break, though yours is probably full metal/plastic as the control is submersible.

I decided to hold off on the heater. If I still have time I'm gonna save up for a newer heater. I got my current one for free and have no idea how old it is. I appreciate everyone's input.

Course you can. Although, as rookie said, it can cook your fish in seconds if something happens. i regularly use larger heaters for my QT tank, breeding tank, and any tank that had an issue. it works out fine.

Back
Top Bottom