heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank seems to fluctuate between about 76.3 and 77.8 or so. Is a full 1.5 degree fluctuation a sign of a crappy heater or status quo? The heater is the submersible glass heater that came in the aqueon starter kit.

If it's fluctuating that much you may want to consider an upgrade or double up, what size tank? Aqueon 29 w 100 watt? I put the 150 in mine and it stays at 79 95% of the time..

Yeah, 29 gallon tank and I think it came with the 100 watt. I plan to set up a 15 gallon tank that I have sitting around, so I will put the 100 watt in it and upgrade for this tank. Thanks for the response.

Any brands better than others but not much more expensive? I guess I am asking what is the best value out there brand wise? Is there a rule of thumbfor wattage required (wattage per gallon)?

For the 29 I'd recommend the aqueon 150, only because it's what I have and it works excellent, I'm sure there are other brands that would work fine. I have the 100 in my 20 and it keeps up great so the 15 should be all set!

My 14g varies by about the same over the day, but I figure that in the wild the temperature would drop over night naturally, so I don't think it's an issue (if I'm wrong I'd love to know)

Love my Eheim Jager! Very steady temps and I'm using a 200w on 65 gallons. It's labeled for up to 106 gallons and I believe them. I'm actually up one size from what is suggested but that had to do more with being near the line and product availability. Your 29 would surely do fine with a 100W Jager (for 26-40 gallons). I ordered mine from Value Pet Supplies and got it the next day because they are in TN. Oh, and waaaaaay cheaper than at the big box retailers. I will say that this heater is enormous for the wattage but that means the heat is spread out more which is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom