heating 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just upgraded my 56 gallon to a 75 and moved my fish. I just moved over the 250 watt heater I had before but I am unsure if this is enough for the larger tank. Given the extra length should I be looking to get another 250 for the other side of the tank or something similar. I tend to keep my house cold at night (68 degrees) and if it actually gets cold here I will seldom tun on the heat until the house gets below 60 though living in Florida this almost never happens. If I should be looking for a second heater any recommended brands, I swear they all have horror story reviews on amazon?

I prefer Aqueon Pros..
Others may have different choices.
I haven't seen another brand tell you in way that is accurate how much water their heater really heats..Hence your wonder on the exact topic!
Aqueon pros have a user chart that tells you how many degrees above your room temperature it can heat XX gallons...

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/008/11515_400wh.jpg

Hope this helps clear things up for you and all !

Thank you. I do have the aquaeon pro 250 in there now just concerned about hot spots and the fact that it is on the borderline for what a 250 will handle. I do have it by the input to my canister so it sucks in the warm water and distributes it

250w heater should be sufficient for a 75g tank , I would place it in the center of the tank and be sure you have some type of water circulation.

originally I used one 150w heater in my 90g placed in the center with a steady water flow . water temp was stable with little fluctuation . but always had that worry about the heater failing since it was only the one heater .

so now I use 3 75w heaters one on either end and one in the center.
my tank maintains a steady 79* no matter how cold the room gets , I live in Colorado in the mountains , so you can only imagine how cold it gets

Last edited:
I suppose I could just try to move it. With all the rock work the side of the tank worked best. it is by the input to the filter so I thought that would spread it around. Will have to monitor it and see and perhaps get another cheap 200 watt for other side or something smaller.

Back
Top Bottom