Heating a 29 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieAliceF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Canada in a part that gets reallyyy cold in winter. We only have room from the 29 gallon upstairs pretty much but the upstairs can get SUPER cold in the winter especially in the mornings (we don't heat with oil often, just a woodstove downstairs). Would the tank heater be able to keep up, and would it get really expensive?

Yes it will keep up with good flow around it and no not expensive a 150 watt heater draws about .12 amps of power costs more to charge a cell phone

I agree with the 2 heaters also I was going to digest suggest that, make sure you have good flow over them. If you have a canister filter you may want to look into an inline filter t that way your always pumping warm water in

Yes it will keep up with good flow around it and no not expensive a 150 watt heater draws about .12 amps of power costs more to charge a cell phone

As for cost most places charge around $.05 for 1 kilowatt hour. So if you ran two 100 watt heaters non stop they would cost you five cents ever five hours. So if they never shut off it would cost roughly $7 dollars a month to heat your tank. That's if they never shut off and are constantly drawing power, which thy wont be.

Thank you so much guys!! :D

Do you know any good brands of heaters so nothing overheats/malfunctions because of being on so much?

If your going with an in tank heater I recommend the ehiem jager there fully submersible Los of people love them. I run 2 in my 55 gallon. Prices are good on them. The titanium heaters with seperate temperature controller are popular with the reef guys but they get pricey.

I will +1 the suggestion on the eheim jager heaters. Or you could always try something like this.

redneck-hot-tub-party.jpg

:lol:

I would probably double the recommended heating power of your heaters if the room gets really cold.

Back
Top Bottom