Heating cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So who out here is using substrate heating cables? What do you think of them? I was thinking of tryin it out...I'll be having real plants in my 50 gallon...how long of a cable should I get? And what's a good wattage?

It isn't worth it. From my observations and the observations of others, heating your substrate does little to nothing for plants. I'd save the money and put it to a nicer light fixture. Also..for art shots and competition shots, having an immovable cable in your tank wouldn't be very satisfactory.

But it's up to you, mate. We need more experimenters in this hobby.

Crepe said:
It isn't worth it. From my observations and the observations of others, heating your substrate does little to nothing for plants. I'd save the money and put it to a nicer light fixture. Also..for art shots and competition shots, having an immovable cable in your tank wouldn't be very satisfactory.

Well the cable is buried under the substrate so you wouldn't see it...but ya, I'm def goin for T5 HO light fixture :)

mfdrookie516 said:
Everything I've read from well known experienced plant enthusiasts says that they are a waste of money

With this said, do either of you guys know the best way to spread nutrients to the roots?

If you go T5HO you're going to want to do CO2. Tanks from 1-30 gallon can get away with DiY yeast. Any more and you'll need pressurized.

Instead of using root tabs you could:
Get osmocote plus and freeze it into ice cubes with tank water and just bury them down deep.
And before setting up the tank just add a layer of Osmocote plus (no more than 1 pellet thick) on the bottom. I would only feel safe doing this with a deep -2 inches at least- substrate.

I personally use osmocote plus in gelatin capsules.

Have you seen the lil co2 things that you drop tablets in and it kinda just sits in the tank to dissolve into the water? I haven't read much on it...just saw it in a magazine, and was curious...

I know a guy who's been sending out samples of tabulated gluteraldehyde. It's basically excel in slow release block form.

I've also seen what you've described. IMO they don't work well and are pricey.

Crepe said:
I know a guy who's been sending out samples of tabulated gluteraldehyde. It's basically excel in slow release block form.

I've also seen what you've described. IMO they don't work well and are pricey.

Awesome...thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom