Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everybody! I'm new to the site and such, my names nook and I actually do have a few questions. I recently started with this whole fishie business (like jan.) and yeah. I have a beta (parrot), and a goldfish who is yet unnamed. I also have 3 apple snails (who are also still unnamed) all of which are housed in different aquariums.

my question: I have a 10 Gal and I would like some opinions on what to stock it with. I like bright and active fish, so yeah um I was thinking of something small like a tetra school or something and maybe 2 slightly bigger fish like I don't know lol I guess thats why I'm asking. Also I have a rather large apple snail that will be going in there. I guess what I really want is something with alot of character.

no I don't sorry :( its not got much of a set up its got some silk plants (I had a betta in there and I didn't want his tail being shreded by plastic ones) it doesn't have a whole lot in it just a place to hide and another ornament thing besides the hidey hole. I have a heater, a over the side filter and what else? *thinks*

Thanks for the welcome :D

lol *waves* Thank you.
I agree, actually was thinking of them and then my boyfriends mom was like I love them so now, even though its not really to impress her I have been swayed. Her favorites are the neons but I was looking at white cloud though their temp range wasn't as high as I thought it could be... oh wait I'm rambling on and such. Its funny cause when I do that scott roles his eyes at me and gives me the I-don't-care-your-obsessed look. :roll:

Is there any advice as to maybe a couple slightly bigger fish as well that don't school, cause I could max out my tank with tetra's but lol I want someone else with a good deal of char.

Out of curiosity, what size tank is your betta and goldfish in??

In a 10gal you could go the dwarf puffer route (I love puffers!)

my betta is in a 5 gal he's a cutey he shares it with an applesnail which isn';t that big yet. He hasn't really been sociolized so I don't feel safe having him with other fish. My goldfish was in the 2.5 Gal tank but when I moved my 10 gal I took him and his snail friend out into a 1.67 (?) Gal tank he;s tiny though and its designed for goldfish or something, he seems happy enough.

I've looked into the dwarf puffers actually, and its something really cool. But there agressive aren't they?

oooh that sounds nice with the gourami, I've never really had any experiance with them before.

[center:175f2b9753] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Nook! :n00b: [/center:175f2b9753]

Neons are okay, but I am really into white clouds due to their hardiness. If this were my tank, I would go with white clouds and pygmy cory cats :D

Puffers should be in their own tank, due to nipping.

Goldfish shoudl have a minimum of 10 gallons a piece to ensure proper growth and to allow for enough filtration. "Goldfish bowls" are no more than worthy to house a goldfish than a plastic cup to house a betta.

Another option might be guppies, with all the different variations you could have a very colorful tank....

I also think cories in a small tank are great.

dido on the goldfish "bowls"

Good to know, I was told by the lps that I could keep them in my unused betta tanks but I guess she lied to me, the little guy will eventually be moved when I get him a big enough tank I guess. I should have known that if I couldn' keep a beta in one eh? *bangs head on comp desk* 10 galls each huh? wow... and who would have thought that little 98cent guy would need such a big tank. Thanks for the welcome! yeah I was looking around today and both kinds of tetra appealed to me, in the end I guess it will have to depend what is avalible. I've looked everywhere here and I haven't been able to find cory cats anywhere and when I asked the fish store guy he was like "what are you talking about" and gave me a freaked out look.

yeah its not a bowl, it has a filter and stuff, and my snail helps keep things clean, but I will look into a bigger tank though I might not get anything for a little while. I've thought about guppies, my friend has some, but I think the tetras would be a better option though they don't all have as many colourations as the guppies

lethbridge, we have all of a walmart, a petcetera, and a petland and I've looked in all of them, I found some in calgary though

and in fact I'm moving just outside of calgary for the summer, which is why I'm waiting tilll I do stuff lol.

ABIslander is from Lethbridge, but she may do a bit of shopping up here. I know I see her at the Calgary Aquarium Society's auctions twice a year. The LFS in Calgary are wonderful, so hold out until you get here :D

lol can do ;) I promised my sis she could help me pick out fish but if there were some kinds I liked I thought I would research them now lol. Yeah Calgary has some good stores, which ones do you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom