Hello Aquarium lovers.. Need some advice..:-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chandanbs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,
How are you doing? I've been closely watching this site and also seriously fish forums. This site has given me few valuable details for my aquarium.
To start with,
Here are my details:
I have a 1ft x 1ft x 2 ft aquarium (depth x height x width) 80% covered with water; which is around 55 litres (15 gallon tank).
I have the following fishes: 9 danio zebra, 2 brass carp, 1 sucker fish (loach), 2 blue gaurami, 1 bleeding heart tetra, 6 molly, 5 buneous aires tetra, 1 albino barb (3 of them died a month ago), 6 rosy barbs.
The aquarium is around 9 weeks old.
I have a oxygen motor, internal filter, a CFL light, a driftwood piece and a broken pot in my aquarium.

I have few questions:

1. How many more fishes i can add to my current family? ;-).
2. Only one of my 4 albino barbs surived after 3 of them died within 4 weeks. Now its 9 weeks old. Should i add few more pairs of them?
3. I hear cichlids are troublesome and not compatible with mollies, can i add 1 or two of cichlids.. which variety?
4. Some times i have seen all of the fishes come to the top and grazing along .. Is it normal?
5. The blue gaurami pair often fight.. the bigger one always chases the smaller one.. Should i put few more pairs?

Thanks in advance..

Hello everyone,
How are you doing? I've been closely watching this site and also seriously fish forums. This site has given me few valuable details for my aquarium.
To start with,
Here are my details:
I have a 1ft x 1ft x 2 ft aquarium (depth x height x width) 80% covered with water; which is around 55 litres (15 gallon tank).
I have the following fishes: 9 danio zebra, 2 brass carp, 1 sucker fish (loach), 2 blue gaurami, 1 bleeding heart tetra, 6 molly, 5 buneous aires tetra, 1 albino barb (3 of them died a month ago), 6 rosy barbs.
The aquarium is around 9 weeks old.
I have a oxygen motor, internal filter, a CFL light, a driftwood piece and a broken pot in my aquarium.

I have few questions:

1. How many more fishes i can add to my current family? ;-).
2. Only one of my 4 albino barbs surived after 3 of them died within 4 weeks. Now its 9 weeks old. Should i add few more pairs of them?
3. I hear cichlids are troublesome and not compatible with mollies, can i add 1 or two of cichlids.. which variety?
4. Some times i have seen all of the fishes come to the top and grazing along .. Is it normal?
5. The blue gaurami pair often fight.. the bigger one always chases the smaller one.. Should i put few more pairs?

Thanks in advance..

For now the only thing you should add is a bigger tank, but be sure to cycle it first. The Blue Gourami are fighting because there isn't enough room for the to make out their own territory.
It normal for Gourami to go to the surface. They have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath air, in fact they need access to the surface to breath air. Also 1 Gourami needs a minimum tank size of 20 gallons, without all the other fish. The only way you should have 2 Gourami is in a much larger tank so they can keep far away from each other.

1. How many fish can I add? None, in fact you need to get rid of
about half of what you have. or get a
minimum of a 208 ltr/55g tank.
2. Should I add few pairs of Albino Barbs. NO, your Albino barb
can school with your
Rosy Barb. You have
way to many already.
3. I hear Cichlids aren't compatible with mollies. Can I add 1 or 2
Cichlids? Which variety. Most Cichlids are best with their
own kind. If you get a bigger tank
and only then you can add Rams.
4. Sometime I see all the fish come to the top and grazing, is this
normal? A VERY BIG NO. that is a sign of major
over stocking. All your fish are up there
gasping for air.
5. The Blue Gourami pair often fight. The bigger one chases the smaller
one. Should I add a few more pairs? Only if you have a much larger
tank and you add a couple
female to go with your males.
If you add more males no
no matter what size tank
you'll have a big battle on your
hands.
Just curious, with that many fish in such a small tank, what are your water parameters?

Answers:
1. Don't add anymore fish.
2. One albino barb is fine for that small tank.
3. Don't mix cichlids with mollies.
4. Increase the air supply.
5. I don't know about gouramis, but i would suggest you to remove one of them ( better removing the chasing one).

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Let me come back on the water parameters...!!

For now the only thing you should add is a bigger tank, but be sure to cycle it first. The Blue Gourami are fighting because there isn't enough room for the to make out their own territory.
It normal for Gourami to go to the surface. They have a labyrinth organ that allows them to breath air, in fact they need access to the surface to breath air. Also 1 Gourami needs a minimum tank size of 20 gallons, without all the other fish. The only way you should have 2 Gourami is in a much larger tank so they can keep far away from each other.

1. How many fish can I add? None, in fact you need to get rid of
about half of what you have. or get a
minimum of a 208 ltr/55g tank.
2. Should I add few pairs of Albino Barbs. NO, your Albino barb
can school with your
Rosy Barb. You have
way to many already.
3. I hear Cichlids aren't compatible with mollies. Can I add 1 or 2
Cichlids? Which variety. Most Cichlids are best with their
own kind. If you get a bigger tank
and only then you can add Rams.
4. Sometime I see all the fish come to the top and grazing, is this
normal? A VERY BIG NO. that is a sign of major
over stocking. All your fish are up there
gasping for air.
5. The Blue Gourami pair often fight. The bigger one chases the smaller
one. Should I add a few more pairs? Only if you have a much larger
tank and you add a couple
female to go with your males.
If you add more males no
no matter what size tank
you'll have a big battle on your
hands.
Just curious, with that many fish in such a small tank, what are your water parameters?

100% agree. +1

My water parameters are:
I use de-chorinated tap water (river water) which is filled till 80% of the tank.
I change about 50% water every saturday of the week.
Once 2 weeks, i take out fishes, then take 8 mugs of existing water ; remaining water and items i clean them including aquarium glass. and put back the old water. add fishes and then new water.

I use a thermostat (temperature controller) kept at 28 degrees Centigrade.

My water parameters are:
I use de-chorinated tap water (river water) which is filled till 80% of the tank.
I change about 50% water every saturday of the week.
Once 2 weeks, i take out fishes, then take 8 mugs of existing water ; remaining water and items i clean them including aquarium glass. and put back the old water. add fishes and then new water.

I use a thermostat (temperature controller) kept at 28 degrees Centigrade.

What about, Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes, pH?
Without knowing what those are, you could be slowly painfully killing your fish.
Run, to your nearest FS and get yourself an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Read the directions, each test needs to be done a bit differently from the others.
With that many fish in a tank that size, you need to be doing at least 50% PWC every day.
Also taking your tank apart the way you are is killing the good bacteria that's needed to protect your fish from ammonia and nitrites.

Back
Top Bottom