Hello everyone! About to start a 30gal freshwater tank and need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool. I'm sorry if I ask stupid questions. I try and do all my research but what I'm not sure of is what I ask here.

I think your questions are great. I hope my answers help. I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Got the Filter on and water in the tank!

Let the fun begin!!!:dance::ROFLMAO::D:popcorn:

By the way.... This filter is so quiet i can't even tell its on unless i put my hand on it!

Attachments

• IMG_20130701_162147.jpg
    IMG_20130701_162147.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 46
That's really starting to look like a fish tank instead of an empty glass box!

yes sir it is!!!

question: do you know of an in-line heater that fits onto a 3/4" line? this canister has some lines that are nice and thick but i cant find any heaters that would fit them. i know i could use something to step it down to 1/2" but i dont want to cut down on the flow...

so 24 hours in and the tank looks a little cloudy.... its this normal?

:blink:

Attachments

• IMG_20130702_195935.jpg
    IMG_20130702_195935.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 46
i started on 7/1. I have been testing the water daily but i do not see any changes in the ammonia yet... the water did clear up though.

My mother has a small 10 gallon tank but she has 4 goldfish and 2 other fishes as well as 5 tetras.... WAY over stocked!! So she made me take a gold fish. I figured if anything it would help out with the cycle but i did not want to use fish for it since its not cool.

So he has been poopin up a storm since last night and the water is now starting to smell like an aquarium lol, yet i still do not see any changes in the levels of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Am i missing something?

Attachments

• 20130705_182827.jpg
    20130705_182827.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 40
Tank Update!

So my tank is coming along! Took a while to start the cycle but its finally rolling! :dance:

So far i have...:fish2:

4 Glo-Tetras
2 Koi (not sure what type, they were gifts)
1 Black Molly
2 Glass Catfish
2 Clown Loach
2 Eel

I am starting to add plants to it whenever i get a chance to buy them.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

• TankPic.jpg
    TankPic.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 42
  • TankPic2.jpg
    TankPic2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 50
That looks beautiful. You can add more plants as time goes by your fish will like them.

I'll be the first and hopefully the last to tell you the clown loaches and koi will have to be rehomed. They are just babies now. They will get much too big. Koi do best in ponds. Clown loaches need a tank much larger than the one you have. They will only be okay for a little while. Start looking for new homes for them now so that when the times comes, you will have a place to take them.

If you need more information about stocking your aquarium, Aqadvisor.com is very helpful. And ask here. People will tell you which fish will work well in a 30 gallon long term.

Congrats for getting your tank started. I like that you made a little cave out of the cichlid stones, too.

Thanks! Yes i knew the koi would get too big for this tank. I will definitely start looking for a place for them. I did not know however that the loaches would not do well in 30g. I will look at that site definitely!

Curious.... how will i know when they are too big?

Good question. I don't know for sure. I've never kept either. My understanding is that healthy koi grow fast. You may have to relocate in weeks. I don't know about the clown loaches. I probably wouldn't keep them past 3.5 inches including tails.

So my tank is coming along! Took a while to start the cycle but its finally rolling! :dance:

So far i have...:fish2:

4 Glo-Tetras
2 Koi (not sure what type, they were gifts)
1 Black Molly
2 Glass Catfish
2 Clown Loach
2 Eel

I am starting to add plants to it whenever i get a chance to buy them.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

What kind of eel? And coyne is right, the koi need to go, and so do the clown loaches, once the get over 3 inches. Some other notes:

- Tetras prefer to be in schools of 6 or more, so I recommend slowly adding more to at least 6
- I think mollies would like at least a few of their own kind, so at least 3 of them would be good, but it may not be necessary
- Glass catfish (from what I have heard) can be kind of... fragile, in small groups and should also be added after the tank has been set up.
- You should add fish to a tank slowly, unless you just fishless cycled it, so if you plan on adding more fish, then do it slowly, so <5 at a time.

So, is the tank cycled? Or did you just get used filter media from somewhere? Maybe I'm just in the dark here, but you got fish 4 days after putting water in the tank...

Almost Done!

Sorry i did not get back to you FishPerson but thanks for the Advice!

My tank is fully cycled and it was actually quite a while before i added fish to my tank.

Aside from everything in my tank now i just want to add a couple of more plants to reach the top on the back left side and some stones to dig in the sand around. Hairgrass is finally starting to show signs of growth too.

I like it for my first tank!!

I sit and watch this tank for hours at night with a cold six pack and just loose track of time...

Attachments

• 20130805_205247.jpg
    20130805_205247.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20130804_203552.jpg
    20130804_203552.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 36
Thats a nice looking aquarium you have there. Im really curious as to where you got the aquarium because ive been looking for a 30 gallon aquarium.

question: do you know of an in-line heater that fits onto a 3/4" line? this canister has some lines that are nice and thick but i cant find any heaters that would fit them. i know i could use something to step it down to 1/2" but i dont want to cut down on the flow...

I use a 300 watt Hydor in-line external heater hooked into the inflow line of my SunSun canister filter. All the measurements are given in ID, or internal diameter of the hose, not how wide across it is on from the outsides. That being said, since I had the SunSun 525gph HW-304B, the big brother of the series, it came with 3/4" ID hoses. The heaters had a maximum ID of 5/8" so, I had to buy some connector parts from Lowes to step it from 3/4" down to 5/8" and back again. However, the hoses that came with my SunSun 264 GPH HW-302 were 5/8" so no additional fittings would be needed were I using the heater on that filter. Below are some Amazon links to the heaters with both 1/2" and 5/8" fittings. The one thing I really appreciate about it being in-line rather than submersed is that there is no danger of it breaking inside the tank and spilling toxic materials into your water, plus the submersible ones are kind of an eyesore. As with any heater, I would recommend a backup precaution to avoid the possibility of something failing in your heater and frying your fish. I've found Hydrofarm's digital thermostats to be very reliable and accurate. Just plug the thermostat into the wall, and plug the heater into the thermostat. The waterproof probe can be suction cupped below the waterline, and the thermostat will display constant real-time temperature readings. To protect against heater failures, simply set the maximum temperature setting to a couple degrees over the heater setting. Should anything go wrong and the temperature start to spike, the thermostat will cut power to the heater once it reaches the maximum temperature setting.

Amazon.com: Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Heater 200w 1/2" hose: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Heater 200w 5/8" hose - Original Eth 201: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com : Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats : Plant Germination Heating Mats : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Back
Top Bottom