Hello from Sunny Scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoscoPeeko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Just joined yesterday, new to fishkeeping and have what seems to be a pretty controversial tank - Fluval Edge - 23L.

I'm runnng it as a Tropical Freshwater setup.

I bought it because i liked the look of it, and it seems to be a nice home for my 4 Glowlight Tetras, (Fatty, Nanny Plum, Ben & Holly).

Got off to a bit of a rocky start with Ammonia Levels as i stupidly presumed that the little bottle of bacteria that came with the tank would suitably establish the tank and i wouldn't need to cycle it. (That's what the bottle led me to believe!)

I now have the levels under control and there is a remarkable difference in the little fishes, chasing each other and the food everywhere! A lot happier :)

So i am now at the stage where i am considering adding 4 Neon Tetras to the tank.

I have read a lot of writing in relation to the tank i have and its suitable stocking levels, however i personally think that 4 Neons would be perfectly happy here... To say that opinions vary greatly about this tank is an understatement, although alot of what i have read about in the fish keeping world seems to generate a lot of contradicting advice and views.

I work in IT, so normally there is only one answer to a given problem.

I don't want to overstock the tank and make it a misery for the fishes i'll keep, therefore i am asking for any and all opinions.

My ideal stocking would be the following:

4 Glowlights
4 Neons
1 Male Fighting Fish (i think some call these Bettas)

Please let me know what you think and i look forward to all that AA brings!

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I am fairly new to this site as well but from what I have seen, we are in the right place. I haven't heard/read anything negative about your tank size but im sure the folks here can help you with that. The fishless cycle for me was a sit and wait game.. wasn't sure if I was supposed to see magic happen or not. I would suggest getting the api master water testing kit.. it was confusing for me at first but I think I got the hang of it!

Once again welcome!

Hi,

Yeah i already had the water testing kit (£35)... I spent over £300 on 'stuff' for my new hobby... From Stress Zyme to Tap Water Neutraliser, to Ornaments, heater, etc etc...

Anyways, the testing was fine at first because there were no fishes in it! it was only after 5 days of having the fishes in and i done another water test, that was when i knew something was wrong... I used aquarium salts, and that stress zyme to sort it out, done a water test yesterday and all looking good again. :)

The good thing was the fish survived, so they must be hardy wee things

that stocking list should be fine ive kept all of those fish together.
but thats only me!(y)

Nice pic, looks relaxing :)

I haven't had a betta in years but I do know you have to be careful with tank mates. The Male betta may pic on fish with long fins, fast fish may pic on the male bettas long fins.

There a few very active betta owners here, you may have to wait for a more solid reply during day time hours (North America).

General rule among tetras is groups of 6 or more as they are more at ease in larger numbers. I would choose one type of small tetra (6 of them).

More pics when you decide wold be great (y)

Stocking level seems fine as neons and glolights are small fish, however, both species would prefer to be a larger group. I agree with j2112j that you should just stick with one type of tetra. As far as compatibility, do your glolights nip at each others fins? If they do chances are they would go after the betta, if not you are probably fine. Male bettas can vary a lot as far as their willingness to share the tank. Put your other fish in first, before your betta establishes a territory, and watch him when you put him in the tank. A betta who prefers to live alone will try to attack the other fish through the bag when you put him in to acclimate (not just a little show off flaring but seriously attack). If he seems fine in the bag, he will be fine once you let him out.

Hi, i don't think the glowlights nip each others fins, i havent seen them do so and all fins apart from 1 of the glowlights seem fine (the one with smaller fins has always been like that since i bought it). the chase each other... i thought they were nipping each others bum but i looked more closesly and they swim right up to each others bum which makes the one in front get a fright n swim away, then they all end up in a chain chasing each other.

The local pet shop has the bettas in with the tetras or other small fish, so i should imagine that should be acclimatised to being in a tank with other little friends?

In terms of not mixing the tetra types... i'm a bit miffed at this as i original went to the store to get 4 neons, i wanted a total of 8 neons... but that particular day they wouldnt sell any as they were new/or not well. the guy showed me the glowlights and said i could get 4 of each...

Some folk on the net say that some mix and some dont... ie, fish keeper 1 has 4 glowlights and 4 neons and they group together, fish keeper 2 also has 4 of each and they do not group together...

btw the fish store would only sell me 4 tetras at the one time, so i wouldnt have been able to buy 6 in one go anyways... i dont know why they do this...

Thanks guys for the advice!

It really can come down to the personality of the fish. Even within the same species some fish can be bullies and others not.

Agree add the tetras first. Then look at Betta. But if you do, make sure you have the option to take back the Betta and get your money back in case you find out that they don't play well together.

Course you can always get a second tank :)

Ha, i've only just got my first tank! not getting a second! not got the space... hence why an edge in the first place! lol

Back
Top Bottom