Hello I am trying to start a discus tank I need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RGL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal tank that I have been cycling for 45 days now I haven't purchased the discus yet still Doing homework would appreciate some help

I have a 55 gal tank that I have been cycling for 45 days now I haven't purchased the discus yet still Doing homework would appreciate some help

Welcome! How long have you been into fish keeping? Ideally would not do discus if you arent very experienced. Most members only keep them when they have lots and lots and lots of knowledge and understand how to care for freshwater fish. They're also expensive so if you're new it wouldn't be a wise choice. And on top of all of that they could require water changes every other day. Have you got a Test kit? And what are you cycling the tank with?

I would only use a 55 for a breeding pair, any more and you should get a bigger tank.

Hello I have been in the Fish Keeping Hobby since 1977. I have raised every thing from minnows crawfish. Guppies swordtails, African cichlids and more! I have been out the hobby for about six years. My little girl was misdiagnosed in the hospital about seven years ago so because of that tragic incident my wife and I brought home a paraplegic child!

I wanted to let the communityt know a liittle something about myself and about my motivation and passion for the hobby. Due to the condition of my baby girl (who I might add is a blessing simply beautiful) we cannot take normal vacations so the aquarium is my escape and my source of relaxation as well!

I appreciate the love and the expertise given tot me already!

This is the equipment that I currently have:

55 gal tank, heater, marineland 220 canister filter, led lights and fluorescent lights, uv sterilizer and a sponge filter along with a cheap air pump.
The tank was set up 8/17/13. I used filter media from another tank that I had going (a ten gallon tank that broke while my wife and I was rearranging some furniture!) to seed the canister filter.

I have a yoyo loach one female black lyretail molly the male lyretail died suddenly yesterday, I started with 3 guppies and now I have about 20 smaller guppies fry. I have 12 neon tetras in a planted tank.

the temp is 81, ph is 6.8, kh is 40, and the gh is 75 and I want to keep Discus i have been watching them on utube and they are so graceful.

Welcome! How long have you been into fish keeping? Ideally would not do discus if you arent very experienced. Most members only keep them when they have lots and lots and lots of knowledge and understand how to care for freshwater fish. They're also expensive so if you're new it wouldn't be a wise choice. And on top of all of that they could require water changes every other day. Have you got a Test kit? And what are you cycling the tank with?

I have test strips, and I am cycling the tank with guppies and neon tetras. the tank is planted with 2 shrimp to clean up!
how much are Discus and where is the best place to get them, I saw an add about the online shop somethingsphishy is that for real? Discus for 11.00 dollars seems to good to be true!

And what about the UV sterilizer will that help or hurt the tank cycling process?

thanks a lot for your help!

I use reverse osmosis water with kent ro rite for my discus I had for 7 years now

I have test strips, and I am cycling the tank with guppies and neon tetras. the tank is planted with 2 shrimp to clean up! how much are Discus and where is the best place to get them, I saw an add about the online shop somethingsphishy is that for real? Discus for 11.00 dollars seems to good to be true! And what about the UV sterilizer will that help or hurt the tank cycling process? thanks a lot for your help!

Hi if you want high quality discus I suggest you check out discushans.com. He has fantastic discus and you get your money's worth. I would stay away from "cheap" discus websites....they will probably sell you sick or bad strains of discus. Also, if you are a beginner with discus I suggest buying adult fish. Do not get juveniles unless you have the time to feed them several times a day and change the water frequently. I do water changes twice a week for my discus and they are full grown. I also feed them a high quality protein diet which you can get from discushans.com. One more thing, don't be worried about the pH of your water it's best to have your pH stable than to keep trying to change it. A lot of discus are bred in higher pH waters now. Hope this helps

Hi if you want high quality discus I suggest you check out discushans.com. He has fantastic discus and you get your money's worth. I would stay away from "cheap" discus websites....they will probably sell you sick or bad strains of discus. Also, if you are a beginner with discus I suggest buying adult fish. Do not get juveniles unless you have the time to feed them several times a day and change the water frequently. I do water changes twice a week for my discus and they are full grown. I also feed them a high quality protein diet which you can get from discushans.com. One more thing, don't be worried about the pH of your water it's best to have your pH stable than to keep trying to change it. A lot of discus are bred in higher pH waters now. Hope this helps

How long should I give my tank before I add the discus...

I was thinking about adding some rams first to see how they do before I purchase the Discus.

I use reverse osmosis water with kent ro rite for my discus I had for 7 years now
How did you get into discus and was it worth all the trouble in keeping them?

Also I am custom building a canopy for the tank, I have stained the wood is there any other prep that I should do before I put it on top of the tank?

How long should I wait because lathe it has dried I can still smell the wood stain.

How long should I give my tank before I add the discus... I was thinking about adding some rams first to see how they do before I purchase the Discus.
Has your tank cycled?

Sorry to hijack, Tinadno, when you say not to worry about the PH, and that keeping it stable is more important, would 7.0 work for Discus? I've tried getting my PH to 6.5, but it keeps jumping back up to 7.0. I've added three pieces of wood to the tank, but still no difference.

Yes it has but ther are still weird stuff going on, I have had two unexplained deathless from a Molly and a guppy
How big is your tank? Have you checked ammonia levels and nitrites/nitrates?

Sorry to hijack, Tinadno, when you say not to worry about the PH, and that keeping it stable is more important, would 7.0 work for Discus? I've tried getting my PH to 6.5, but it keeps jumping back up to 7.0. I've added three pieces of wood to the tank, but still no difference.
They should be fine. My pH is higher than that and my discus are doing great. Just check with wherever your getting your discus from what the pH of their tank is they are in. The ones I get are already in a higher pH so they are used to it

Thanks, that's a relief... I have all the PH chemicals but hate adding them constantly.

Yea save your money. The only chemicals I use are stress relief, a water conditioner, and an algae preventer. I also add liquid fertilizer for my live plants. Hope this helps! Feel free to post me a pic of your tank too

Back
Top Bottom