help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tao 2008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone, i would really apreciate sum help, i am a complete novice to this site and to fish keeping and am not sure if i should post my question here but im sure you will let me know if ive done something wrong , i have just bought a jewel 180 tank and stand , second hand it came with gravel that looks sharp which i think is not suitable for some types of fish (clown loach).It has a built in filter and heater its been up and running for 7 days now, with no fish and i want to get ,.... a redtail shark , some clown loaches ,an angel fish and a pleco and maybe more if that would not overcrowd the tank, is this possible?any advice would be much aprieciated thank you ..

First you need to learn about cycling your tank. Do some reading first, and then decide what to put in your tank. Best of luck!

Yep-- read up on fishless cycling. Much better to do it fishless than with fish.

Welcome to AA!

Hi Tao - Welcome! I also echo the others. There are several articles in the articles section that might help you in your research.

As for your tank, thre'sno sense in it sitting there doing nothing. Throw in a raw prawn or two to start your cycle (some use pure ammonia). Buy some liquid test kits (PH, Ammonia, NitrITE and NitrATE) and read read read. By the time your tank is cycled, you should be feeling a bit more enlightened.

I'll expand on what the others said.. read and read. That is the easiest thing you can do to make sure you succeed later down the road. This site has some wonderful articles written by its members that detail the Nitrogen Cycle and ways to speed up fish-less cycles.

I would read this first:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html

Once you are done you can find ways to speed the process up by reading this:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...ks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html

Hope it helps! If you get confused or need some help clearing something up, let us know!

yes, go fishless for the tank cycle. Wish I knew about it before I added fish. You wont have to worry about the fish dying during the cycle time. The water change only at the end is nice too. lol.

Back
Top Bottom