Help !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IINII Sniper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my nitrite and nitrate levels are super high but amonia 0.0 what could be causing the spike in nitrites ?

I read your other thread. It seems like you are in the NitIte spike phase of a cycle, which is normal. But with fish in the tank it's also very dangerous. As I just replied to your other thread, you need to keep monitoring your water levels daily and do water changes any time the ammonia and/or nitrIte levels are above 0.25. If your nitrIte levels are still over 3, you'll have to do a lot of back-to-back water changes; for example, a 50% water change will get the NitrItes own to 1.5, whcih is still too high. Another 50% water change after that will get them down again to about 0.75, which again is still too high, etc. So get out the buckets and get to work :)

I'd also suggest picking up a giant bottle of Seachem Prime to use as your water conditioner. It temporarily neutralizes ammonia and nitrIte for 24-36 hours. It will help protect your fish in between the daily water changes you're going to need to be doing for a while. Good luck.

Thanks guys great help

Im doing 100ltr changes per day but after iv changed the water i test it and its still over 3.3 guess il hav to do more. My nitrates is also through the roof but i guess that makes sense with it changing all the nitrite to nitrate how will i know when it has cycled ??

I agree with the above posts, another thing you may want to consider if you have fish in the tank is adding a small amount of salt (Nacl) since it has a more lasting effect on reducing nitrite toxicity. I would go with approx 1 tsp/gal premixed thoroughly and added over a course of several hours.

Hi , thanks i do add salt as part of water changes.

All my fish seem really well in health etc just need to get it right 

iv just done another 100ltrs and the nitrite has budged its still sky high along with the nitrate :-~

IINII Sniper said:
iv just done another 100ltrs and the nitrite has budged its still sky high along with the nitrate :-~

You've just got to keep doing them :-(. Constant water changes can be a bit stressful for the fish, but believe me that they'd rather deal with pwc's instead of the high levels of no2 in the tank.

I might be mixing things up, but I believe high no2 can cause more extreme breathing problems for the fish than high ammonia (although they'll both damage their gills). If you have an air-stone, it be a good idea to crank that thing up to full blast.

You're doing the right thing by coming to the site, getting advice and following through. I guarantee your fish appreciate all the bucket carrying I'm sure you're doing today :)

Yeah thanks well im gunna do another 200 ltrs tomorrow and just pray to god it goes down.

I had plants in my sump to help filter but they were dying so i have taken them out today but i have lots of dead bits of plants should i take all the bits out ?

IINII Sniper said:
Yeah thanks well im gunna do another 200 ltrs tomorrow and just pray to god it goes down.

I had plants in my sump to help filter but they were dying so i have taken them out today but i have lots of dead bits of plants should i take all the bits out ?

Yeah, the decaying leaves will cause more ammonia to be put into the tank. The only thing you can do is keep knocking out the water changes until you get the no2 below .25. I'm sure we mentioned Seachem Prime earlier...but a bucket for pwc's and a bottle of Prime will be your fishes best friends for the next few days.

IINII Sniper said:
Seachem prime what is it ? Im in the UK ? :-/

I'm not 100% sure it's in the UK unfortunately. It's a dechlorinator which also temporarily detoxifies ammonia and nitrIte for 24-36 hours. Any dechlorinator will work for pwc's, but one which will neutralize the toxins is a major bonus.

If you can find another brand that does that'd be good, but don't buy any products that go into your filter that absorb ammonia, it's not needed and might hurt the process of stabilizing the tank.

Thanks ill look out for it ! This is my tank :)

Attachments

• image-3501861405.jpg
    image-3501861405.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 82
IINII Sniper said:
Thanks ill look out for it ! This is my tank :)

Tank looks nice. I don't know much about your type of fish...but it seems you might need to upgrade at some point. Don't those Arowana get like 4 feet long?

Iv only just got this one :-0 i think if and when she grows to big i think it will be time to say bye bye :-(

Iv done a 50% change and tested my water now 4 hrs later

pH - 7.0
Amonia - 0.0
Nitrite - 3.3 
Nitrate - 110 

Not budged abit !! And i took 2 hours to do the change ...

What now ? I really cant be doing the change every day . Will the nitrite go down on its own ?

IINII Sniper said:
Iv done a 50% change and tested my water now 4 hrs later

pH - 7.0
Amonia - 0.0
Nitrite - 3.3 
Nitrate - 110 

Not budged abit !! And i took 2 hours to do the change ...

What now ? I really cant be doing the change every day . Will the nitrite go down on its own ?

You really only have 3 options...

1) Water changes every day until the tank cycles (for now, multiple ones per day to get no2 and no3 down to below .25).

2) Find a new home for your fish and do a fishless cycle (guide link is in my signature).

3) Or let your fish suffer and die (sorry to sound so harsh, but that's the reality of not doing daily pwc's right now).

Remember that the test kit for nitrIte only goes up to 5, so if your level is actually something crazy like 20 it will still show up as 5 on the test. A 50% pwc will reduce your levels by half, but half may still be above what your kit will show.

Personally, since it's a large tank...I'd run out and buy a Python or Aquaeon water changer. They're a life saver. I can do a 50% pwc on my 48 gallon in under 10 minutes.

The other thing I would add is that you're not too far from being cycled. The fact the ammonia is not also through the roof indicates you are in the nitrIte spike phase, and it won't take too much longer before your tank can start converting that and keeping it down on it's own. But again, this is one of the most dangerous times for your fish, so they're going to need your help to get through it.

Thanks il try and do another 50% tomorrow and ill keep you posted in how im getting on.

My test does only go up to 3.3
An my nitrate goes to 110

So i think you may be right :-(

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom