Help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kt23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm new to this and I have a 65 gallon corner fish tank idk what to do exactly????

Well no I don't have any fish I'm looking to just start with 2 and hopefully breed them and eventually fill the tank up with the fry I get... Any ideas on what can be good to start with

Welcome to AA!
Moved to FW getting started.
Very first thing you need to do is learn about the nitrogen cycle. The article linked above will explain.
Good beginner fish for breeding are livebearers.

Def read the above article. In a nut shell you will need to decide if you want to do a fishless or fish in cycle, they both have there own pros and cons and there is tons of helpful info in the sticky thread at the top titled "Before getting started, check out these resources." It will really help you make your choice.

If you haven't you will need to choose what type of tank you would like to have, decor, plants, substrate all of that. Then I suggest doing some research on fish you would like to have. As mentioned live bearers are a great place to start with breeding. Mollies, platys, guppies, endlers and swordtails are a good place to start looking to give you ideas on what you may like to have.

Invest in a good test kit, liquid is best and people here seem to prefer the API kit, though the important thing is no strips, they get expensive and aren't very accurate.

Once you have an idea of what you want you will set up your tank. Substrate, plants/decor and start your cycle process. Then depending on which one you choose you will either add your 2 fish to begin the fish in cycle or start your fishless cycle. Either way it will take several weeks to cycle your tank most likely. If you are able to get a hold of some used media of some sort to help this along it would be great(a friend with a tank, or some pet stores sell it) basically something, like a filter sponge, that you can set up to help boost bacteria growth in your tank.

If you have any other questions about the cycle process or anything at all there is a wealth of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask!

Back
Top Bottom