HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I want to get an aquarium around january. I have had aquariums in the past, with minor success. But this time, I have done lots of research. Right now I am thinking about getting:
- 6 orange von rio flame tetras
- 1 honey dwarf gourami
- 1-3 pygmy cory catfish

Will this work?
Will my tank be too crowded?
And mostly, do pygmy corys need to school?

Please help!

I am sold on the honey dwarf gourami, I really want to get one of those, but if the orange von rio flames dont work, than I am open to suggestions about pretty much any other tetra. I am on the fence about the pygmys though.

What size tank are you planning on? Are you going to fishless cycle it? Need a little more info on the setup you plan, before we can try to help you!!

Stock looks OK but it'll depend on the size tank (e.g. for a 20+ gal tank yes, anything smaller no). Corys don't "school" per se but they do like to group and feel more secure with larger numbers. Minimum 4 corys of one kind is recommended, 6+ is better.

You might want to read this as it'll explain cycling and what your options are to get the tank ready for fish: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Ok, sorry. I don't plan to do a fishless cycle, but I will do some research about it, since I know nothing to very little on the topic. I plan to use a ten gallon tank. Stupid me for not including that part.
I also am wondering if gravel vacuuming is necessary. I have heard mixed views on that. Thanx!

Fishperson said:
Ok, sorry. I don't plan to do a fishless cycle, but I will do some research about it, since I know nothing to very little on the topic. I plan to use a ten gallon tank. Stupid me for not including that part.
I also am wondering if gravel vacuuming is necessary. I have heard mixed views on that. Thanx!

Yes gravel vacuuming is necessary. If you don't food that doesn't get ate and poop settles down in the crevices in gravel, it won't get out unless you vacuum it out, and if you don't vacuum it out it will only build up ammonia which could in turn kill your fish if they level gets to high.

So librarygirl, if I had the 6 von rios and a honey dwarf gourami and 4 pygmy corys would that be overstocking?
I have heard about the inch-per-gallon rule, but I also heard that since the oxygen levels matter too, another rule would be 1 inch of fish per 12 inches of surface area of the water. The tank LxWxH is 20x10x12. Hope this helps

So librarygirl, if I had the 6 von rios and a honey dwarf gourami and 4 pygmy corys would that be overstocking?
I have heard about the inch-per-gallon rule, but I also heard that since the oxygen levels matter too, another rule would be 1 inch of fish per 12 inches of surface area of the water. The tank LxWxH is 20x10x12. Hope this helps

In a 10 gal, yes. The 1" per gallon rule is outdated and doesn't really work as it doesn't take into account things like the fish's bioload and activity level. Most tetras, danios and rasboras are active and need a lot of swim room, generally a 20+ gal tank is recommended for this reason. Pygmy corys are small but active too; there's some debate about corys going into a 10 gal, even small ones. Honeys are too large for a 10 but you could do a sparkling gourami.

Here are some stocking ideas for a 10 gal:

-- a single betta (don't underestimate these fish, they are highly entertaining, sort of like water puppies lol); you might be able to add some shrimp and a snail depending on the bettas personality OR
--a group of NANO fish like 6 ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. Be sure they are truly nano fish and not just small fish (e.g. neon tetras are small but not considered nano fish and they require a larger tank due to their activity level). You could also add a sparkling gourami. You could also do 4 pygmy corys (none of the larger corys though; also keep in mind corys prefer smooth substrate like sand or rounded gravel, but sand is preferred) OR
--2-3 platy OR
--3-4 guppies OR
--2 dwarf puffers OR
--3 african dwarf frogs

Also yes vacuuming gravel is a must as fish waste and old food can build up and cause bad water quality, particularly if you get corys as they can get infections in their barbels.

Are you sure a honey dwarf gourami is too big for a 10 gal.?
I agree with you on the thing about the tetras and danios being active, and I was hoping that wouldn't be true 'cause the von rios look awesome!
Ember tetras are nice, but I'm pretty sure my LFS doesn't have them. I was hoping for a school of tetras or danios or something, and 1 fish that doesn't have to school. I also don't think my LFS has sparkling gourami.

There's some debate on the honey gouramis in a 10 gal. lol Some people wouldn't do it, others say one is OK. You could probably get away with one, they tend to be peaceful but if it starts to feel cramped your other fish could be targets. Where are you located? You can often find people who are willing to ship fish, I got my Ember Tetras from a moderator here (Severum Mama, she sells many types of fish) and I've never had a problem getting fish in the mail lol You could also ask some local fish stores if they can order some for you.

I actually have a 20 gallon tank, but no lid or filter for it. I think I am going to use that, with 4 pygmy corys, 6 von rios, and 1 honey gourami. That would work right? Of course I would like to utilize all of the available space in the aquarium, so would that be the max amount?

Back
Top Bottom