HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I just started my fishless cycle about an hour ago. I added my ammonia, (2 mL) waited 20 minutes for it to "mix in" with my tank water, and I tested the water. The water seemed to have no ammonia in it (I used the API master test kit). Long story short, I screwed up. Turns out I tested the water wrong, so I added more ammonia. I finally figured out what I did wrong, tested the water again, and I had 8ppm! Is this okay? What should I do!?!?!?!

Do a big water change to drop your ammonia. Depending on the size tank, it needs to @4ppm or much less if it's a small tank. You should be properly conditioning any/all water you are using in your tank. :)

If you havent already figured this out then you need to do a 50% PWC to reduce 8ppm to 4ppm.
Good luck... I just started my first Fish-less cycle last week, so Im anxious to see how it goes.

Also, since you dont have any fish in the tank, then I would only add Prime or any conditioner to remove chlorine and such when you add new water during a PWC.
In theory though, you shouldnt have to do any PWCs (unless you overdose the ammonia :facepalm: ) until your tank is fully cycled and youre ready to add fish.

Also, since you dont have any fish in the tank, then I would only add Prime or any conditioner to remove chlorine and such when you add new water during a PWC.
In theory though, you shouldnt have to do any PWCs (unless you overdose the ammonia :facepalm: ) until your tank is fully cycled and youre ready to add fish.

I ended up doing a 30% pwc and it reduced it to 1 ppm...I have a 10 gallon tank so about how many mL to bring it up to 4 ppm?

I'm also cycling a 10 gallon tank. I use 1.5ml of 10% ammonia solution to get 4ppm. So assuming you're using the same ammonia... Maybe around .80 ml . That was some pretty sketchy math on my part, so no promises.

I'm also cycling a 10 gallon tank. I use 1.5ml of 10% ammonia solution to get 4ppm. So assuming you're using the same ammonia... Maybe around .80 ml . That was some pretty sketchy math on my part, so no promises.

Thank you! I ended up adding 1 mL more, and that brought it back up to 8 ppm...uhhhhhhgggg! Is this okay? (I have school tomorrow so I can't change the water again...Is this okay?

I dunno... this is my first fish-less cycle as well. Its my understanding that if the ammonia is too high it can stall the cycle. I dont know what qualifies as "too high" though.
But you can just do a PWC tomorrow. It doesnt have to be right away since there are no fish in there.

I dunno... this is my first fish-less cycle as well. Its my understanding that if the ammonia is too high it can stall the cycle. I dont know what qualifies as "too high" though.
But you can just do a PWC tomorrow. It doesnt have to be right away since there are no fish in there.

Okay thanks! :fish2: (y)

Back
Top Bottom