help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edward198

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 15 gallon tank that ive tried to set up for 4 weeks now.. I waited till week 2 too add fish..(thinking 2 weeks would have cycled the tank by now) I added 3 gourami and 2 have died since :(.. my water went cloudy and I thought it may have been amomia so I tested the water and my amonia was 1 so I believe this is why my fish died however I treated the amonia and for the last 7 days it has been less than 0.5 or just 0.. However my tank is still cloudy..could it just be a bacterial bloom? And how should I clear the grey cloudy water??

Ps. Im completely new with fish keeping. Just want to get started :)

All advice welcome:)

I have a 15 gallon tank that ive tried to set up for 4 weeks now.. I waited till week 2 too add fish..(thinking 2 weeks would have cycled the tank by now) I added 3 gourami and 2 have died since :(.. my water went cloudy and I thought it may have been amomia so I tested the water and my amonia was 1 so I believe this is why my fish died however I treated the amonia and for the last 7 days it has been less than 0.5 or just 0.. However my tank is still cloudy..could it just be a bacterial bloom? And how should I clear the grey cloudy water??

Ps. Im completely new with fish keeping. Just want to get started :)

All advice welcome:)
i would say its a bacterial bloom since you didnt cycle your tank completly. The gouramis either died from the amonia or the stress (ie. 2 males will fight). you could try some water changes to clear it up but really just needs to be cycled.

Ive tried water changes about 10-20% every other day but isnt helping at all.. think I will just leave it for a few weeks and see if it eventually clears up. Thanks

Did you add an ammonia source originally? If not add one now. Your tank definitely is not cycled and that is why the gouramis died. Have you looked up the cycling method with a prawn from the grocery store? You can try that.

And yes as the above poster said it is a bacterial bloom and only completing the cycle and water changes will get rid of it.

No I havent added an ammonia source.. if thats a good way to finish off the cycle.. how should I go about doing so?

No I havent added an ammonia source.. if thats a good way to finish off the cycle.. how should I go about doing so?
Like I said you can add a raw shrimp from the store and let it rot. Or you can get some pure ammonia from the hardware store and look up how to cycle with ammonia. I really don't recommend fish in cycling for a beginner because it can be detrimental to the fish.

If I add a dead prawn.. how long will it take to rot and add amonia? Also will this end up killing my existing gourami. . Shall I donate it back to the fish shop before adding the prawn.. once the prawn rots any idea how long it will take before the tank is cycled and ammomia free?

Thanks guys! Really helped.. gonna let the tank sit for a few more days and see if it starts to clear up.. if not im gonna get some ammonia and cycle the tank.. oh and if I just bought some beneficial bacteria and added that into my tank right now.. will that stop the bacterial bloom?

Thanks guys! Really helped.. gonna let the tank sit for a few more days and see if it starts to clear up.. if not im gonna get some ammonia and cycle the tank.. oh and if I just bought some beneficial bacteria and added that into my tank right now.. will that stop the bacterial bloom?
you mean the bottled stuff? Ive heard mixed reviews, i wouldnt add any really, if you wanna im sure you could but it wont stop the bloom, it will only speed it up somewhat.

Yeah that stuff. I was thinking about it but I suppose I wont need it. Just gonna let my tank cycle naturally

Back
Top Bottom