help? 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryannao

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 29 gallon freshwater tank and i'm looking to stock it with interesting fish. i want to incorporate an african butterfly in whatever way possible! i just want to know your input on what would be some good tank mates for this beautiful fish, please reply and help me out!

Hi and welcome! Well the African butterfly is a predatory fish and very aggressive and will eat anything that it can fit into its mouth. If you stick with some mid-bottom dwellers that should be OK. Maybe 4-6 smaller corys for the bottom (Panda, Dwarf or Pygmy) and something that stays mid-bottom level that won't become lunch if it ventures upwards. Maybe a few Platys?
Is this your first tank? Do you know about cycling? This guide might help: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

this is one of many fishtanks i've had, i stopped a year ago and recently started up with this tank again. i know about cycling and my water has been ready for a little while now, its just waiting for fish to inhabit it! i love corydoras, so i will probably invest in a couple of those, thanks for your help!

so i looked up, do you guys think this combination would be alright in my 29 gallon?
1 african butterfly
3 cherry shrimp
1 baby whale fish
3 balloon mollies
4 albino corydoras

let me know!

Mollies are brackish water unless you can somehow acclimate them to freshwater.I like the baby whale. They're hard to keep though.

bettaowner said:
Mollies are brackish water unless you can somehow acclimate them to freshwater.I like the baby whale. They're hard to keep though.

The mollies will be fine as long as you get them from a lfs that has them is freshwater.

I've had several mollies and all of then have been fresh water. All fish stores I've been to sell them fresh and if you want acclimate them to brackish.

thanks, a slowly figured that out
do you guys know any good website that ship fish? what would you recommend? your favorite?

If you live in Canada there's nothing out there in the us there is liveaquaria and aquarium fish .net thy are excellent however prepare to pay a lot for shipping.

Butterfly fish are great, but make sure that you have a good amount of plants across the top (not enough to block access, enough so that it doesn't feel vulnerable) and you don't have a very strong current on top of the water. If you do have lots of surface current, make sure the butterfly fish has a large spot where it can dwell out of the current and hunt.

They can be aggressive, but they only get to about three inches in most tanks (five max in the wild). Hardly big enough to swallow most tetras. They mostly only bug stuff that spends a lot of time at the top like they do, like hatchet fish.

Since they have long fins, tiger barbs should be ruled out, along with other fin nippers.

Lastly, and most important, whomever you buy it from, have them show you that it is accepting flakes or pellet food, frozen bits, or other prepared foods. If not, get ready to stock small crickets, ants, etc to feed it because that's what they eat in the wild.

Liveaquaria.com does carry them. Check their website for numbers on PH and such.

yeah, the list i have above of fish are the fish i'm getting, and i do have a soft area in my tank, and i just ordered plants and driftwood for my tank so i'll be good, thankyou!

so guys, i'm starting this back up because i just recently found out that balloon mollies are mutated! ): i don't believe in any of that, so i don't want any of it in my tank! i haven't went through with ordering fish yet because every time i go to there's always some out of stock! i was wondering what other kind of fish i could substitute into the above list that's a little more interesting than platys and guppies..i'm difficult to please!

Back
Top Bottom