Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO & IME......I have a filter that has the bio-wheels and here is what I did. I took pillow stuffing and packed it in then I bought fluval ceramic bio-media and placed it on top of the poly-fil, then the bio-wheels. This is on a 55g and I don't have any issues, clear water. Although I do 50% weekly wc, once a month I take some tank water, during pwc, and swish the ceramic around to get any build up debris. Note: AFTER I WAS CYCLED, 1-2 a month I put new poly-fil in because all bb is on the ceramic bio-media....good luck

Have you only ever had 4 fish in that tank at a time? Honestly what can be happening is you have such a small bioload and with doing such frequent WC's the tank water literally doesn't have much food (ammonia) to get much BB growing. Personally I would go to weekly WC's but just watch your ammonia and nitrite levels. Do a WC in between only if ammonia or nitrites rise above .25ppm.

Okay, so last Friday I visited a very well known and reputable Aquarium Store in my area. I explained the situation and this is what I'm doing based on their recommendations.

First, I should not have removed the filters as many of you had mentioned. It disrupted my cycle.

Secondly, they have me stopping all water changes as to let the biological material to grow and stay established.

Third, got some high power biological starter and have put it in the tank.

So far, my ammonia is around 1ppm. No sign of nitrites yet.

The fish are doing well. I have cut my feeding in half as well.

So that's where I'm at.

Back
Top Bottom