help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chochanator

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello im new , i have 75 gl tank that i fill with drifwood thinking and trusting who gave them to me that they were cure , guess what not cure my water is beyond blackwhat can i do please help i just got back in to the hobby after 10 yrs because of 1 year old grand daugter thank you

It looks like you posted this question in two different sections... I posted a response to your one in the general section :)

thank you sir , i an a beginner even do i used to have a lot of fish tanks but that was over 10 yrs ago i just pick it up again . so i just did a 75% or a lil more change of water and that their is a huge diffrence in color i know is not goin to be crystal clear for while but i coulndt stand that black water any longer ,know i have two female gupis that survive out of ten that my freind gave to me they are a lot more happier it seems now or meaby i couldnt seem them before lol . i didnt touch the filter is over hang penguin 350 , im planning on buying another one , iwanna make this tank a comunity tank so granddaughter can enjoy it even do she loves it , so once again i appreciate any and all your help that could give e

All driftwood will make the water brown if you don't boil it or soak it for a good while, but I see you've already gotten a more detailed answer. Activated carbon can help remove the brown tint. Here is a good article on starting a freshwater aquarium, I recommend reading up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186089
You may need to monitor pH because the tannins that made the water brown will have lowered the pH, and a changing pH can make it harder to start up the nitrogen cycle. I hope you and your grandchild have fun setting up your new tank!

thank you sir but my ph is actually high now that remove that driftwood and i change 75% of the water it seems that the two goppys that survive are now in a corner of that tank hopefully they wont die i bought a test kit for ph that brings 3 bottlesone of then is to bring the ph down i, i used it just now lets see what happens . my granddaughter will be here later on hopefully they wont die so at least she can enjoy them . if you have any advice more than welcome again thank . ps i dont think im going to use driftwood any time soon.

The tannins won't harm your fish, my son breeds platys and corycats in his 10g.

If you've lost fish was your tank properly cycled? There is a lot of information on the nitrogen cycle in this forum.

Many on this forum don't recommend using chemicals to alter ph, they tend to be short term fixes. I use Ro/Di water from Culligan, local store has bottle filling machine and is open 24hr, it's cheaper than purchasing your own system (quarter dollar a gallon) and right next to work.
Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i was giving the tank and driftwood that same day , it was my fault i didnt resarch at all i used to have like 5 or 6 tanks 2 of the salt the rest fresh but this was like 10 or more years ago i jumped one this mission for my lil grand daugther so im going to let playany advice will be aprecciated

I would test your tap water to see what your working with to begin with. I have tap water that is 6.5 ph and I made the mistake of using a Ph neutralizer. My Ph dropped to 5. If your Ph does a dramatic drop you can take out some water and dissolve some baking soda in it then re-adding it. but that is an emergency solution and not long term.

Back
Top Bottom