HELP! 4 Fish just died! Right Now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
4 neons just died!!! The last one to die was having trouble swimming and keeping itself afloat. Today I changed 50% of the tank water, used dechlorinator, and the PH was 7.0. I cleaned out all the algae. Thye neons were not losing colour, they all ate like crazy this morning and i had them happy for 2 weeks!!! What happened? My tank was 3 weeks old, fish were in their for 2 weeks.

When u did the water change was the new water in a clean container, and the right temp. Also 50 is a lot which may have shocked them, what r ur Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia levels.

I'm really not an expert, but my first guess would be if the tank 3 weeks old, it's still cycling. It could be amonia or Nitrites. I think most of the folks who will have some good advice will want to know PH, Nitrites, Nitrates & amonia levels at least.

How many fish to you have left?

Have you had a tank before? Is this your first? If so, check out the article on a tank's life cycle. It'll help you understand what's going on in the tank.

Good luck.

Got 6 Left, so thats good. I think its the shock. Lost track of how much water was using when gravel vacuuming. Clean water, and the right temperature. By the way, I don't know my ammonia etc levels, cause mum wouldn't let me get a test kit cause the store owner said "u don't need it, its waste of money". The shop didn't even have a ammonia etc testing kit anyway.

If that is what the LFS said i would recomend finding a new LFS, tell ur mom if she wants to keep buying u more and more fish because they keep dying then shes welcome to, but if u had a test kit then u would be able to keep them alive and in that way save money. High Levels of Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia especially can result in killing fish, stressing fish which can lead to weakened immune systems and make them more supseptable to parasites and disease. As Udder said a 3 week old tank is very unstable, which would lead me to believe that the 50 percent change not only shocked the fish but through your cycle out of control. I recomend defintly testing for these 3 things otherwise u may lose more fish in the future.

Oh it is nite and I have 2 fish left. I think in the morning there will be none.

While neons are cool fish, you might consider something hardier like platys to start with. Later when the tank is stable add neons. I lost five neons when my tank was new. :cry:

Ask the LFS if they test water, most here will test the water for free, but I would still recommend getting test kits, even if it's a 5 in 1 quick strip, at least it's something.

I lost over 21 Neons in my tank, but I had an edible problem, I like the Neons, so did the Congos :D:) They look pretty, but in reality, they are food.

Head and taillight tetras and redeye tetras are both consider indestructable fish, they are both very hardy

Your tank is cycling, and I agree you need to be able to test the water and watch it carefully when cycling with fish. Neons are not the hardiest fish, so I'd say they were suffering from nitrite poisoning, or possibly there is still ammonia present. The water change was a good idea. You may simply have to do smaller (10-15%) water changes every other day for a few weeks until the tank is cycled. Get yourself ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests and keep an eye on things. Do not get any more fish until the cycle is complete, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom