Help a newbie with 4 gallon tank stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gingeracha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in the process of cycling my first tank and figuring out what I would like to stock it with when it's done. My current thoughts are:
-a pair of African Dwarf Frogs
-4 to 6 cherry shrimp or equivalent (colorful and food source for frogs)
-3 to 4 Celestial Pearl Danio

I'm worried that this may be too large of a bioload and I'm wondering if I will need to choose between the frogs and some sort of nano fish? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the process of cycling my first tank and figuring out what I would like to stock it with when it's done. My current thoughts are:
-a pair of African Dwarf Frogs
-4 to 6 cherry shrimp or equivalent (colorful and food source for frogs)
-3 to 4 Celestial Pearl Danio

I'm worried that this may be too large of a bioload and I'm wondering if I will need to choose between the frogs and some sort of nano fish? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dwarf frogs will work. Cherry shrimp will work. Danios, no. They're fast moving and really need space to stretch their 'legs'.

If you must have fish, why not a betta? You could probably also get away with a small species of Killifish.

I was unsure if a beta would be an issue with the frogs, and if at all possible would prefer a "school" or couple of fish to one big one. I don't think I've come across Killifish in my research but I will look into them.

Chili Rasboras were on my short list, would Golden White clouds be acceptable as well? And what would be the max number of either you would recommend in the tank with the shrimp and frogs?

Last edited:
You could do a pair of scarlet badis and a few shrimp like red cherry shrimp. Some very tiny nano fish would be some Chili rasbora's, Clown Killifish which are the only ones I'd keep in a 4g, Neon rasbora's- gold, green, or blue. One betta would work or only the frogs.

Back
Top Bottom