Help- AquaTop CF400 UV Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought one of these filters and finally got it in the mail today. I am assembling it... And it doesnt quite make sense. I have an extra elbow piece... Ok, no big deal.

But the intake pipe... What is this extra nozzle thing for?! I am 99.9% sure this is where this piece goes because it doesnt fit anywhere else.

img_1798845_0_270a2121944800a76428754a839cbc7b.jpg

The extra nozzle on the intake is for the addition of a surface skimmer. If you go to trueaqua.com there is some videos that you can watch.

But if I dont want to add a surface skimmer on the intake.... How do I plug it...? Or will it be below the water line, so it doesnt really matter?

It should have a plug already on it. You can contact them and request one. They have great service.

I'll shoot them an email now... Do you know what the extra joint is for, by any chance?

BTW.... Thank you so much for the quick response!

It looks like you got an extra joint. I don't believe that goes to anything.

kenbob said:
The extra nozzle on the intake is for the addition of a surface skimmer. If you go to trueaqua.com there is some videos that you can watch.

Totally correct. It can also act as a cleaning helper. Attach a hose and a gravel cleaner and you can vacuum your gravel without removing water. Of course you have to clean the filter afterwards.

It should have come with a cap. Seal it with a plastic baggie and a rubber band until Aquatop sends you a new one. don't want any fish getting sucked in there.

I think that extra elbow is used when you have the lily type return attached instead of the spray bar.

Thanks so much guys!

This is why I love this forum. I get an answer in under an hour.

While we are talking about 'em.... What kind of media do you guys have in yours? I work at a lfs and get a discount on that kind of thing, so I was thinking I was going to do the sponges on the bottom, fluval biomax in the middle, and then maybe two "socks" of carbon. Would that be ok?

I have sponges on the bottom. Bio balls in the middle and ceramic rings on top.I don't use carbon. It is not necessary.

Coarse media on bottom,
Fine media in middle,
Ceramic rings on top.

I put the bio balls to work in my inline CO2 reactor as they are not that efficient in a canister when compared to ceramic rings. They are meant more for a wet/dry application.
The giant bag-o-carbon that came with it is in my goldfish tank working as a bio-media by now. I'll use it so seed my new 55 gallon once I get around to setting it up.

The extra 90 degree elbow.

I bought one of these filters and finally got it in the mail today. I am assembling it... And it doesnt quite make sense. I have an extra elbow piece... Ok, no big deal.

But the intake pipe... What is this extra nozzle thing for?! I am 99.9% sure this is where this piece goes because it doesnt fit anywhere else.

img_3271277_0_270a2121944800a76428754a839cbc7b.jpg

The extra 90 degree elbow in your photos is so you can convert the horizontal water bar into a vertical water bar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom