Help!!! Betta!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
My friend gave me a surprise betta for my birthday today. I put him in a tiny little tank that is probably 1/2 gallon maybe less. I put gravel from my cycled tank to try and help. I was wondering what I could to to help him? (I named him serendipity ?) how much water should I change per day?

Stingray68 said:
My friend gave me a surprise betta for my birthday today. I put him in a tiny little tank that is probably 1/2 gallon maybe less. I put gravel from my cycled tank to try and help. I was wondering what I could to to help him? (I named him serendipity dde0a) how much water should I change per day?

Since its a small tank I would change the water every other day

My betta is at my moms house, I see him every so often. My mom does full water change once a week (or when tank is dirty, water smells bad) iv had him for a few months now and he's still going strong, at first he wouldn't move but now that he has gotten used to stuff he moves, we also use betta water conditioner. This helps a lot with a betta.

Please consider moving your beta to a larger tank(at least 2-3 gallons). They need warmer water to stay healthy. You can get a betta heater for cheap at petsmart or petco. A foam filter or built in filter with low flow rate would also be good.

M1k3y_gumi said:
Please consider moving your beta to a larger tank(at least 2-3 gallons). They need warmer water to stay healthy. You can get a betta heater for cheap at petsmart or petco. A foam filter or built in filter with low flow rate would also be good.

+1 on the tank, I forgot that Bettas need at least a 1 gallon tank. If you want to see its true behavior then you're gonna need a 5 gallon

M1k3y_gumi said:

Not a problem I will hopefully get a 5 gallon kit and I live in Texas so the water temp is about 79 degrees

Ok that is what I will do but this morning I was looking at him and I noticed that the was having a hard time swimming so I looked closer and notice one of the feeler/fins are caught on the other side of his body. Is there something bad at play or just a deformmality? It gives him a hard time when swimming so I just want to help him

Stingray68 said:
Ok that is what I will do but this morning I was looking at him and I noticed that the was having a hard time swimming so I looked closer and notice one of the feeler/fins are caught on the other side of his body. Is there something bad at play or just a deformmality? It gives him a hard time when swimming so I just want to help him

If they're just caught then they're fine just try to find a way to fix it maybe rub it lightly till it comes loose

+1 on the advice about a minimum of a 5g tank. I know people keep them I less & I'm guilty of that when I 1st got all of mine. I had health issues with one which was the kick in the butt I needed to upgrade them all. They're all happy, healthy & so much more fun to watch!

Darn it hit send on the app too soon. While he's in the 1/2g very frequent 100% water changes should help to keep him healthy until you can upgrade.

Aquavic said:
If they're just caught then they're fine just try to find a way to fix it maybe rub it lightly till it comes loose

Well it is not caught but more like the fin it's self is wrong or something. When he opens up his fins, the fin moves to the normal spot but when he tucks all his fins in to swim it does to the other side

Stingray68 said:
Well it is not caught but more like the fin it's self is wrong or something. When he opens up his fins, the fin moves to the normal spot but when he tucks all his fins in to swim it does to the other side

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It may straighten out on in its own given time especially if you're able to get him into a bigger tank. I have a female who doesn't swim properly but she gets where she needs to go. I've had her about 6 months, she's in a community 46g tank & she's better than she was in the beginning but still not great. When there's food she swims like a champ. :)

Back
Top Bottom