Help!...Bio-Spira didn't work!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,

After taking a break from fish-keeping, I recently decided to set up my tanks again. Knowing this urge had been growing for a while, I ordered some Bio-Spira from Bernie back in November that had been resting comfortably in my fridge.

Anyway, I set up the tanks last week and bought fish on the weekend. I added Bio-Spira as per the directions (all at once at the same time as the fish), and thought nothing of it. I tested the water today, however, and I was in the danger zone for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates! Ack!

My tank specs:

10 gallon
- tahitian moon sand with silk plants
- 3 blue rams (2f, 1m)
- 4 panda cories
10 gallon water parameters
- ammonia: 0.8
- nitrite: 0.8 (!!!)
- nitrate: 30

5 gallon
- tahitian moon sand with silk plants
- 1 betta
- 3 panda cories
5 gallon water parameters
- ammonia: 0.6
- nitrite: 0.3
- nitrate: 20

Needless to say...not good!

The fact that I've got nitrates in both tanks is a good thing...but my water is far from cycled. I also know that I'm overstocked (I'll be upgrading tanks when I get back from my Xmas holidays, but in the meantime it just makes matters worse).

Anyway, now I'm stuck with fish in uncycled tanks. With the other fish, I wouldn't be as concerned and I'd just ride it out...but I'm particularily concerned for the rams. I've been wanting rams for months, but I know how sensitive they are. Everyone's been acting fine so far, but I'm still worried.

So my question is...is there anything I can do here either than daily water changes? I did a 50% change as soon as I tested the water...which may not have been the best plan, but I panicked. I can't really get cycled filter media from anyone else, and I'm not sure that I want to run the risk of getting some from my lfs.

Any suggestions on how to help my poor fish weather the rest of the cycle?

it will slow down the cycle (fish cycling is pretty quick anyway) but gravel vac the top layer every day until you get a good reading on ammonia. The gravel is where most of the waste is so this should help keep toxins down for the rams. Also, add some plants to your tank if you don't already have them (and add more if it is only a few) because these will help with buildup of toxins as well. HTH!!!

Bio Spira did not fail you... it is working as evidenced by already having Nitrite & Nitrate present. What happened here is you overstocked your tanks right off the bat.

Bio Spira should be added to a tank with no more than a full bio load (I prefer a light bio load). Overstocking your tanks is not consistent with the instructions for use of this product so please don't blame the product. :wink:

What to do now? Perform daily water changes as needed to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels down. Your ammonia/nitrite levels aren't out of control yet so don't panic but definately test daily and change that water until the Bio Spira can catch up to your bio load.

hth :)

I agree with the plants. They'll help with the nites. You can try adding more of the biospira. I've no experience with biospira, but with seachem stability, it states that one can increase the dosage in particular situations.

Most important of all, treat your fish instead of the water. Hope you understand what I mean by this. If your fish look healthy and you are doing your water changes, there should be no problem. Hope this helps.

I agree with AtodaJ -- you'll need to do daily water changes until the Bio-Spira fully kicks in. When I used Bio-Spira, on day 2 I had an ammonia reading of .25 ppm. On day 3 I had a nitrite reading of .25 ppm. On day 4 my readings were 0-0-20. Your Bio-Spira is working also -- but sometimes it is not literally an instant, immediate cycle.

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! I guess I was expecting the straight 0-0-0 reading right away that I got the last time that I used it...

Well, I'll keep up with the daily partial waters changes and give it another couple of days...

Thanks again...I'm feeling much calmer now :D

I'm glad you're feeling better :) no need to panic, just keep on top of things!

You mentioned last time you got a reading of 0-0-0? With Bio-Spira, you will get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20-40 nitrates. You'll get lower than 20ppm nitrates by having plants, not by using Bio-Spira alone. Your actual nitrate reading will depend on how many fish you have and how many plants you have. I have a clump of java moss and one crypt in each of my betta tanks and my nitrate reading is 0.

Are you sure your test kits are correct? I have had a crashed tank (ammonia 8 & nitrites >5) go to 0 within 24-48 hours of adding B-S.

Maybe something happened to the bio-spira in transport and some of the bacteria died off?

An t-iasg said:
You mentioned last time you got a reading of 0-0-0? With Bio-Spira, you will get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20-40 nitrates.

I had a fairly understocked tank last time I used it, so I had straight 0-0-0 readings for quite a few days before I started seeing any nitrate.

Pufferpunk said:
Are you sure your test kits are correct? I have had a crashed tank (ammonia 8 & nitrites >5) go to 0 within 24-48 hours of adding B-S.

I'm fairly sure, anyway. They are all brank new test kits (the Hagen ones), and I suppose that the readings all make sense given what everyone else is saying...

maillis said:
Maybe something happened to the bio-spira in transport and some of the bacteria died off?

That's exactly what got me worried. I'm in Canada, and by the time that the Bio-Spira got through customs, it took a full 7 days to reach me. It was still relatively cool when I opened it...but a little iffy nonetheless.

Well, as of this morning, the parameters are:

10 gallon
- ammonia 0.25
- nitrite 1.0
- nitrate 30

5 gallon
- ammonia 0.1
- nitrite 0.6
- nitrate 5

So the 5 gallon tank is almost there, and the 10 gallon is moving along... As for the fish, everyone still seems to be doing ok as far as I can tell - the rams are really tiny...just babies, so their colouring isn't as bright as it could be. The betta and the cories are looking good as well...

I'll keep everyone posted...thanks again for all of your help!

I have had to repeat the dose of Bio-Spira on several occasions, and the only explanation I could give was poor handling before it got to me. That's why I now get twice what I think I will need, just in case.

I too have completely cycled a crashed tank overnight with a dose of this stuff, so if you can get your hands on some more it should fix you right up.

JW, but wouldn't dead bacteria cause a bit of ammonia or something?

That probably didn't help matters much...

Anyway, this mornings readings on the 10 gallon were:
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0.6
nitrate: 30

So, I'm getting there...

I'll be sure to post some pics when I get them...thanks again to all!

Back
Top Bottom