help choosing fish for new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristyjw84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'd like some advice for a new tank, it is 80 litres and I'd like to put into it 5 tetra, 5 guppies, 2 Bumble bee gobies 2 yoyos and a bristlenose catfish. will this be ok or will it be to overcrowded? Thanks in advance! :)

Hello, I'd like some advice for a new tank, it is 80 litres and I'd like to put into it 5 tetra, 5 guppies, 2 Bumble bee gobies 2 yoyos and a bristlenose catfish. will this be ok or will it be to overcrowded? Thanks in advance! :)

That's about a 20-gallon (US) if I remember right.The tetras, guppies, and bristlenose should be fine, though the bristlenose can get up to 4-5", which might be big for that tank.

I'd also be concerned that the bumblebees, which aren't the most active fish, might get out-competed for food. They're also fairly territorial. YoYo loaches can get up to six inches. I'd say that's too big. Also, they are much more active than the bumblebees, who would probably get really stressed by these guys. And YoYos, as with other loaches, like to be in groups of 7+.

For now, I'd stick with the tetras, guppies, and bristlenose and see how you do with those. What kind of tetras do you have in mind?

Bristlenose are neat, I have one myself, but they poop A LOT. You could have one in there but will eat up a good chunk of 'stocking room' from a biological perspective, and they like to hide a lot which doesn't lend itself to a fish to watch much.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bristlenose are neat, I have one myself, but they poop A LOT. You could have one in there but will eat up a good chunk of 'stocking room' from a biological perspective...

This a very good point. After your tank gets established, you (the OP) might want to consider otocincluses ("otos"). A very cute miniature suckermouth catfish that eats algae. They like to be in groups, though, so you'd need four or five, and only after the tank has been stable for a few weeks or months. They can be delicate.

Back
Top Bottom