Help choosing fish to stock my new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josie.paolillo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just got a new 400 litre tank,which I have my two gold fish in at the minute (they will be going into another meduim sized tank soon it just needs a new pane of glass in ) when the gold fish are in their new tank we are planning on getting a heater and a better filter (one in now will be going in the smaller tank with the goldfish) and getting some tropical fish. I'm a complete beginner so am finding it difficult to find fish compatable with each other that wont grow too big. I was thinking maybe;
2gouramis
1bristle nose cat fish
2clown loaches
6 harlequin rasboras

I like angelfish but I've read they can become aggressive towards each other and the other fish?

I would love to have one big fish, would the tank be big enough for a parrot fish or not? Sorry about my ignorance I just can't find much usefull info andihave no idea, hence all the research! Feel free to suggest any different fish I'm open to anything so long as they all get on and don't outgrow the tank. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
400L is massive, your options are very open.
I dont see a problem with the fish you mentioned the gouramis can be aggressive to each other, and the clown loaches get big but for your tank size would be fine. Really as long you get a decent filter and maintain the water quality you could get a dozen fish in the tank.

On a tank that size i would probably run 2 canister filters and a 300-400w heater.

If you're looking at bigger fish instead of parrots look into different geophagus species another good one are sevrums as far as some bigger schoolers with them look into rainbow fish, roseline sharks, Odessa barbs, barilius bakeri, larger danios and so on with those fish generally you'd be able to do angels aswell

Back
Top Bottom