Help! Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubyRedSpilo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Been cycling for about 4 weeks now, have a 55 gallon, with a fluval 305, temp 77-79 degrees, ph a lil on the high but stable and constant at about 8.0-8.2,
After the 5th day of tank setup added 2 african cichlids to help the bio level but shoudve prob. just added like 10 feeders.... anyways
on 1/21 my readings were: amm-1.0-2.0 ppm , nitrites 0.50ppm nitrate- 5.0
1/29 amm 2.0, nitrite .50 nitrate 5.0
2/02 amm 1.0 nitrite 0 nitrate 4.5-5.0 ppm
then today ammonia was back up inbetween 1.0 and 2.0 ppm

feed every other day and have only done 2 15-20% water changes ....1 every other week...... Am I close...do these readings look normal???

I've had my 25gal up and running for 2 months now and during my weekly water testing I register ~2ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and ~10-20ppm nitrate. This is before my pwc's, so I'm testing the water that's been in the tank all week. I'm also running a fully planted and full bio-load tank. So from my guestimation, I would say you're up and ready to go. Just my thoughts though. Have you tested the GH and KH?

You need ammonia to be 0... and since your nitrates have been constant, check your tap water for them. You may not be cycled yet.

Please, PLEASE DO WATER CHANGES! daily if necessary-- you are poisoning your fish with ammonia and nitrite... both of which are toxic over .5ppm. You'll slow down but not stop your cycle, and you'll have healthier fish for it.

read the link on cycling with fish in my signature... explains what they go through with high ammonia levels (high being anything above 0!) and why water changes are necessary... you're basically poisoning the fish right now, and though they may not show it yet, they will eventually

feed every other day and have only done 2 15-20% water changes ....1 every other week...... Am I close...do these readings look normal???

You've only done two 20% water changes over a period of 4 weeks?

Those ammonia readings, while normal for this part of the cycle, are really high and are really toxic to the fish.

I would do AT LEAST 25% every 2 days from now on until your ammonia and nitrite return to zero. Although that's an absolute minimum, if you can do it every day, then do so.

Ok so did a water change last night about 20% and just got done taking more readings ....and they are about exactly the same......amm. - 1.0 ppm nitrite 0.25 ppm nitrate 5.0 ppm ph stable 8.0-8.2...... Wthell....shouldnt these be changing a little over the weeks?? I also added another filter yesterday and a powerhead. Heres some pics for you guys. I really wish this cycle would be more normal so I could see the spikes and drops and eventually 0's.

Attachments

• IMG_6128.jpg
    IMG_6128.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6129.jpg
    IMG_6129.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6130.jpg
    IMG_6130.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 64
I really wish this cycle would be more normal so I could see the spikes and drops and eventually 0's.
it would be if you didnt have fish in there. when you have fish, you cant allow the cycle to spike like you can without fish. you're going to have do to more than a 20% water change too. 50% pwc's daily will most likely be what you'll have to do to keep the ammonia levels low enough as to not harm the fish as bad. The ammonia needs to be below .5ppm.

yes, do a 50%... you may need to do them twice a day (though i doubt it with only two fish), but do them as often as necessary to keep the ammonia below .5ppm

ok just got done with a 50% im gonna go grab some lunch and when I come back ill test again and record the info here....thanks!

Ok so doing the 50% water change got the amm reading down to between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm so thats a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom