Help, Cycling, New to aquariums and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got my prime today :) now to figure out how to use it properly with water changes haha.. My ammonia is looking alot better now (.25-.50 range).. Should I use prime with every water change?

Gotcha.. Had some leftover dechlorinator of another brand so ill just switch to the prime now .. thanks

I treat my tap water with Prime too.
Dosage is 2 drops per gallon.

Be careful not to overdose as Prime will deplete oxygen from the water, which is bad for your livestock.

You can get a pipette or dropper from a pharmacy or hydroponics store to make dosing drops easier, otherwise it's 1mL per 10 gallons pre-mixed w tap water. Don't add Prime directly into your tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

yeah i usually do 10 gallon water changes so i was trying to figure out how much of a capful to dose the 10 gallons before i put it into the tank .. 1 capful is for 50 gallons, so im guessing around 1/4th of a capful or lower would be about right? .. 20 gallon tank but im doing a 50% water change in a little bit.. thanks for the info guys, helping me out alot!

Seachem instructions are on the bottle. One thread of the cap is about 1mL.
Don't guess, know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can add prime directly to the tank, lots of people do it this way. If you do, dose for the full size of the tank and be sure the water you add is temperature matched.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reactions: ErT
been a few days since i've posted anything, i have kept my ammonia at .25 for last few days.. Still no sign of nitrites or nitrates.. i've been out of tetra safestart for awhile now one of these days i will get some more and try that maybe.. a lady my fiancee works with said she has bio balls but I haven't heard of them.. I have some hornswort coming and java fern.. Any recommendations on a light for them? All I have are the small l.e.d lights that came with the tank, and I'm pretty sure its not at all near what plants would need (2 watts per gallon +) Thanks all:thanks: :fish1::fish2:

Test results today..

ammonia - 0.25
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
PH - 8.2

No change yet.. :banghead:

I wish the LFS would have informed me of cycling before hand.. I would have fishless cycled... Take care everyone

i have java moss in there as of now and waiting on hornswort and java fern , should be in tomorrow..

In all honesty it seems you have a successful tank despite what your test kit tells you.

I had a similar experience with ammonia always testing present and no nitrates, my tank and fish are all still well after several months.

If there is not an obvious source of ammonia in the tank, like something dead in there, then I'd just keep moving forward and settle into weekly water changes, easy feeding and enjoy the tank.

I've learned not to obsess about what appears to be working

Reactions: ErT
test readings today

ammonia - .50
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 20 or 40 ppm

Tank has cycled.. Great relief :dance: ... my java moss never took off, turned brown so i threw it out.. the java fern and hornswort seem to be doing ok but not much noticeable growth.. i probably need some better lighting.. have used fert tabs in the substrate and flourish also.. finally got my last fish today, now my aquarium is full.. 5 assorted color platys, 5 glofish tetras, and 1 pleco .. thanks for the help everyone

Back
Top Bottom