Help! Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I am a month into a fishless cycle of a 40 gallon tank with help from a fake plant from a healthy established tank and I am at a loss as to what is going on with my levels. Here is what happened...
I was following the guide posted by eco on this forum, dosing initial ammonia to 4 ppm and only adding more when it dropped to 1 ppm. All seemed to be going well, nitrites were rising and eventuality peaked at 5 ppm for a few days. Nitrates had built up to 40 ppm. Then about a week ago I tested the water and nitrites were 0 ppm! Oddly, ammonia was still at 2 ppm.
I did a large water change in case nitrites were so high that I was getting a false reading, but it was still 0 after the water change. The water change did result in ammonia dropping below 1 ppm. I let ammonia dropping to 0 which it did 2 days later and immediately dosed it back up to about 1.5 ppm in the hopes that it would be back to 0 the next day.
It wasn't. It dropped to .25 ppm. So I put it back up to 1.5 ppm. I did this for 2 days. Then today when I got the same ammonia reading of .25 I tested nitrite to see if it was still at 0 and it wasn't! It was at .25 now as well.
Needless to say I am really confused.
Should I add more ammonia again? Should I do another water change?
After a month I figured I would be almost done.
I do see that the filter media has some yellow marks on it which I have heard is a good sign.
This is my first time setting up a tank so I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

sounds like your cycle is on the right track. I would suggest slowly stocking your tank and stop dosing ammonia. fish will not produce that much ammonia day to day. Do a 50% wc and you should be fine to start lightly stocking.

Ok thanks. I still need to see where my nitrates are at since I haven't tested for them in a while, but I'm happy to hear I am in good shape.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom