HELP!! Fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please help me figure out why all my fish are dying!!! So here's the story a few weeks ago I did my normal routine water change. I went to change the filter but I had no replacements so I did a good rinse of it, till it almost looked new. I went away for a week and my brother fed my fish. I came home saw that a fish was dead and half eaten so I flushed it. I bought new filters did another partial water change checked the ph levels they are fine. But my fish keep dying one by one!!!! Can anyone help!!!!

Have you tested ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels?
When you cleaned the filter, you removed the beneficial bacteria that the aquarium needs. There would still be some in the gravel, on the plants, etc but it my not be enough for the bio load.
Most people do not change their filters until they are literally falling apart for this reason.

What type of filter is it? In almost all cases, you shouldn't be changing the filter sponge or bio media until its literally falling apart. Even then, you don't change them all at once. You'd have to change them one at a time months apart so the beneficial bacteria can migrate to the new media.

How did you rinse it? Hopefully not in the sink with untreated tap? If you rinse a filter sponge for example, this should be in a bucket with the tank water. Basically, you don't want to harm or throw away the beneficial bacteria that live on the filter media.

Do you own a liquid test kit? You should take readings on your water parameters.

Sorry to hear about your fish dying. :(

Joostrom said:
Please help me figure out why all my fish are dying!!! So here's the story a few weeks ago I did my normal routine water change. I went to change the filter but I had no replacements so I did a good rinse of it, till it almost looked new. I went away for a week and my brother fed my fish. I came home saw that a fish was dead and half eaten so I flushed it. I bought new filters did another partial water change checked the ph levels they are fine. But my fish keep dying one by one!!!! Can anyone help!!!!

You say you washed the media? In what may I ask?

Tap water will kill any BB in your tank causing it to begin its cycle again.

But then buying the new filters basically did the same as washing with tap water.

This may help you understand what's going on:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

An here is a good guide on how to handle fish in cycling:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Back
Top Bottom