Help!! Green brand new tank, no fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello! I'm new... I have a 15 gal Freshwater Aqueon Column Tank. I used water conditioner & FW aquarium salt. There's comparison pics on my profile of Day #1 & Day #2.

I set up my tank May 3rd, so this is day #2. I woke up to green cloudy tank much like the beginnings of a green swimming pool! After a bit of research I realized that it's an algae bloom. I'd say it's pretty bad. I've already put the tank in the dark, wrapped double layered towels all around it--no light is getting in!! There's no fish, THANK GOODNESS. So from my experience w/ pools, I know the water will be very cloudy after the algae dies. Then what? Let it settle to the bottom & vac it out? Are there any filter tricks other than buying a diatomic filter?? Can I buy or make an insert that will help clear the water? Or please don't tell me I have to start over... But if I should, I will. I need to know what I should do to prevent this again. I just wonder if it's the Spring Water brand b/c this took ONE day. The tank is not in direct sunlight AT ALL, but I do live in sunny South Florida. It has all new rinsed decos. I'm super disappointed, but thank goodness I'm patient & like to do things the right way. I will wait this out. I'll start w/ a fish-less cycle as soon as the algae resolves. Any tips, hints or tricks would be greatly appreciated for the algae! Thank you!!

PS--Hear's another lil tidbit... My Betta in a different tank w/ a different spring water brand w/ same FW aquarium salt is not green & in the same room as the green tank!!

So it's not in direct sunlight at all? Is it in a bright room? Are you keeping the tank lights on and if so how long? You can do some water changes now to get the cloudy water out, it won't hurt anything. I'd leave the lights off and try to keep it dark. Also why are you using spring water? You can start the cycle even with the algae.

Thank you for your reply. I'm using spring water b/c that's what LFS recommended--I specifically asked if I can use tap & treat it, I just figured our city water is no good. I'm currently letting a sample gas out & will test the pH of my tap. I setup the tank before I found this website/app. I'm considering getting fish that are compatible w/ my tap's pH.

No, it's not in direct sunlight at all. I have blinds that I never open more than a third of a turn, I don't draw the blinds at all. I did leave the fluorescent light on a few hours, maybe 4 or 5. I'm going to consider getting a lower watt bulb. I bought the full test kit & ammonia yesterday. Starting the cycle today! Exciting!!

Anymore tips, tricks or thoughts are warmly welcomed! Thank you!!

Thank you for your reply. I'm using spring water b/c that's what LFS recommended--I specifically asked if I can use tap & treat it, I just figured our city water is no good. I'm currently letting a sample gas out & will test the pH of my tap. I setup the tank before I found this website/app. I'm considering getting fish that are compatible w/ my tap's pH.

No, it's not in direct sunlight at all. I have blinds that I never open more than a third of a turn, I don't draw the blinds at all. I did leave the fluorescent light on a few hours, maybe 4 or 5. I'm going to consider getting a lower watt bulb. I bought the full test kit & ammonia yesterday. Starting the cycle today! Exciting!!

Anymore tips, tricks or thoughts are warmly welcomed! Thank you!!

Hm, not sure, you don't seem to be leaving the light on much. What lights and wattage are you using? Unless it's super high light it shouldn't be causing algae at 4-5 hours a day. Are you dosing any ferts or did you put anything in the tank from outside?

I'd try using your tap water, 99% of the time it's fine to use. And whatever your PH is unless it's ridiculously high (over 9) should be fine for most any fish except for temperamental fish like Discus; fish will adapt to most PH's as long as it's stable.

I appreciate your reply! When you say ferts, do you mean fertilizers for live plants? No live plants in my aquarium. and when you say put things from outside, you mean outside my house? No, everything is new & was rinsed before putting it in the tank. So there were no like "outside" things introduced to an already cycling tank. Tested my gassed out city water tap & it's 7.4.

Did a PWC w/ tap water after a 3 day complete black out to reduce the algae bloom. It doesn't appear much better. I put some ammonia in to 4ppm today (May 7, 2012). Let the fun begin!!

And oh, I forgot to say, a T5 full spectrum 8watt bulb ;o)

I just had to swap out tanks because of a horrible algae bloom, but that was after 2 months. Since you don't have any fish in the tank I would hot water and aquarium salt rinse it all. From what I have experienced in my years of pond and freshwater tanks distilled or filtered non chloro or fluorinated water is much more stable, and I only use it for 1/3rd of the start up water and 60/40 swap outs every 4 months or so

Anytime, and good luck. You are in great shape considering you're smart and have a back up tank... I have 2 55g tanks running my cycles. Saved my one eyed iridescent shark, my oscars and my giant upside down catfish (I know, I'm gutting a piano and building a 150+g custom and a 90g L tank for upgrade by midsummer).

Thanks. But I don't really have a "back up tank" b/c the Betta tank is a separate thing. He'll just live by his lonesome, he isn't going into this community tank I'm setting up. Also, I see you're in Maine. I'm from Maine originally & have a lot of family there. Small world. Good luck w/ your shark & others! I love to check out the FW sharks at the LFS. I've still gotta decide what I'm gonna put in my lil column tank.

This is my baby beta I'm setting up a 10g for. I would suggest keeping a quarantine, or "hospital" tank, especially if you're planning on making a community tank. I quarantine for 72 hours before introducing new fish to any of my tanks, it does actually help weed out any problems very quickly

ForumRunner_20120507_222750.jpg

That looks JUST like my crown tail Betta!! I'll post a pic later. What kind of filtration do you use & do you use a bubbler? I was told by LFS that any movement at the top of the water is bad. So just do frequent FWC's (full water change), keep in a smaller tank b/c of the need for frequent FWC's & to use smooth marbles instead of gravel for ease of tank cleaning. I'm interested in what AA people have to say.

my 1.5 yr old Betta
image-1622139055.jpg

image-3719080300.jpg

This pic doesn't do his colors justice
image-112532329.jpg

No, surface disturbance keeps your water oxygenated and is good unless you use co2. Good as long as there isn't too much current for the beta that is. :)

I keep 2 bowls and change and clean them in a cycle twice a week. One bowl remains unoccupied with plants and conditioned water, when I'm ready to fully clean the occupied bowl all I have to do is put him in the other bowl and it only takes me 10- 15 minutes to completely clean and put my bowl back together. Never underestimate the oxygenation power of live plants

Maxkolbe said:
No, surface disturbance keeps your water oxygenated and is good unless you use co2. Good as long as there isn't too much current for the beta that is. :)

Thanks for your input! I'm really new to all this... So the cascading water of an HOB filter adds oxygen. At first I thought you were saying, it didn't, but I misread (had to edit this post). And the surface being disrupted is bad for say a Betta b/c they like to gulp air from the surface? And b/c they're not strong swimmers, they would not enjoy the stress of a current.

I do not use CO2. I don't even know yet what CO2 is for... is it for plants? Or I know from chemistry that CO2 will lower the water's pH (I think). Hmm... So much info, so lil time!! It's very entertainin' though!!

ktomminello said:
And your crowntail is beautiful.

Thank you!! So I just wonder if I should be doing a FWC w/out washing the marbles & faux plants, Just adding water & conditioner? The LFS said No, wash everything, the Betta can't handle the toxins that would be left behind. But after reading this site, I'd think that'd stress ANY fish out!!

How I take care of my Betta now compared to how we took care of our Betta 5 years ago & the pair I had as a teenager are 3 completely different ways! I'm always getting conflicting info! I haven't tried live plants, I should start considering it. I'd like to incorporate them into my new big tank down the road when I've established some experience.

If you're planning on making your beta a larger tank you're going to need to incorporate plants and natural hide outs for you're beta and I wouldn't suggest anything except for maybe an apple or mystery snail as a tank mate. As far as water changes go my suggestion would b to gently wash glass and decor with a mixture of water and a little bit of either aquarium salt or quick start, then redecorating and adding water and conditioner and then your beta. Should be done 2 or 3 times a week without a filter or vacuum

Ok, thanks for the advice! I will try that. Irks me that the place you purchase your Betta doesn't even tell you how to care for it properly. I'm not sure if it's just a lack of knowledge, it may be lack of time to spend w/ you or they just want you to buy the Betta, they don't want you to walk out b/c it's going to be more than just $10 total? I'm the type, I want to do it right!

PS--Do you do just a normal amount of salt like the amt in w/ the fish or a sanitizing amt?

Back
Top Bottom