HELP! Guppy fry dying need HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pygora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here's the situation with my fry. I moved my fry to tupperware containers that sit on my dining room table. I have 1 dish that is almost 3 weeks old. Started with 8 and still have 7. Everyone in that one looks acts healthy. I have another 2 tupperwares that have a set of fry born about last week. It was such a big batch that I thought splitting them up would help. 1 tupperware is doing great about 15-20 in it and still going good. Fish come up to eat and swim fine. The 3rd 1 is where I need HELP ASAP! This 1 started with 15-20 fry but they keep dying off. At night/during the day doesn't seem to matter. The fry in here are doing so/so. Some seem to eat but not sure if all are eating. The fry in here seems to sit at the bottom and turn like a whitish color and then die off. I am doing the same thing to all 3 tupperwares. Everyday I clean them twice a day. Scoop most of the fish food/poo out and then refill the dishes with clean water then feed them. What in the world is going on with that 3rd fry dish???? Any ideas? Why is it only that 1 dish?

Hello, I do not think keeping fry in containers is a good idea but you are doing all you can to keep them clean and healthy I can see. But I am not surprised some of them are dying.
I'm not an expert but I'm just offering advice. I know that when people keep bettas in containers, java moss is very helpful in absorbing toxins in the water as well as providing cover. Guppy fry like cover, so perhaps adding a little bit of java moss in your containers will help them survive a little better.
Are the containers warm? because they contain such a small volume of water they may be losing heat and becoming too cold.

What may be a better idea is to put a breeder box in your current aquarium and put the fry there. They will probably be a little crowded but at least their wastes will be dispersed throughout the aquarium, they will stay warm, and they will get water with plenty of oxygen.

Just my thoughts, good luck!

If it is a temperature thing though wouldn't the other 2 tupperwares have fry dying off too? So far I have had only 1 in those 2. It's just the 3rd 1 I can't figure out. Did I do a bad thing by separating? Is that what's going on? I thought with so many fry to a batch that it would be a good thing to separate but now I'm not so sure. As far as I know I'm doing the same thing in all 3 but only that 1 dish is affected.

I thought about a breeder box but I discovered that I had an ich infestation and had to treat that so I didn't think they'd survive in there with the medication being so young. I started with about 8 fish in a 10g tank and now have the surviving 4 left. I didn't know what it was until I had taken everything but the fish out of the tank and saw the dots on the fish. (Sorry newbie not very pleased with myself on that one. I'd had fish before cut never had that problem with them.) But now that seems to have almost all cleared up but we're going to do 1 more treatment on them since there's like 1 last treatment left in the bottle to be sure.

Hello, I do not think keeping fry in containers is a good idea but you are doing all you can to keep them clean and healthy I can see. But I am not surprised some of them are dying.
I'm not an expert but I'm just offering advice. I know that when people keep bettas in containers, java moss is very helpful in absorbing toxins in the water as well as providing cover. Guppy fry like cover, so perhaps adding a little bit of java moss in your containers will help them survive a little better.
Are the containers warm? because they contain such a small volume of water they may be losing heat and becoming too cold.

What may be a better idea is to put a breeder box in your current aquarium and put the fry there. They will probably be a little crowded but at least their wastes will be dispersed throughout the aquarium, they will stay warm, and they will get water with plenty of oxygen.

Just my thoughts, good luck!

Sorry I did forget that part. Ground up flake food. The fish in the other 2 dishes seem to eat good. I clean them up and get the food around and they're actually waiting for it. Kind of gathering around and watching for it. But the 3rd batch just wander around and some come up to eat but not all of them. It's not like the other 2 dishes. It's like those ones even have personality already. But the 3rd one its like some care and some don't. I was wondering if some don't know what the food even is? I don't know how to show a fish how to eat so I guess they're on their own with that.

well you could put a sponge filter in there and also what are you feeding them?

Fry have stopped dying

I decided to try putting all the batch of guppy fry that were born together back into the same dish to see if that would help. I think it actually did either that or the larger bowl I am using did. Maybe there were still too many to the small size I had or they just didn't want to be separated from the rest. All I know is that I am glad that they stopped dying! :)

Hm, guppies in containers, not sure about that.... You say you are cleaning the containers and replacing the water. Are you changing out some of the water or just topping it off? They're going to produce ammonia which could be killing them if the water isn't changed often (especially without a filter) and use a good dechlorinator and match water temps. Also do the containers have a heater, what is the temp? What about lighting?

Here's some links that may help:
guppies - Care
Guppy Fry Needs
Breeding Guppies

Back
Top Bottom