HELP........I Think!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with everything Caliban and Mebbid said and I basically always do. I missed most of this convo (I haven't been quite as frantically active lately) so I have nothing new to add but my support, really.

Op we can totally help you but like others have said, you kinda have to pick a forum and stick with it when it comes to the advice or it will make YOU crazy :) (seems like it might be already)

Wrong.
The bacteria responsible for converting ammonia to nitrite in freshwater are from the genus Nitrosomonas, in saltwater Nitrosococcus are responsible. These bacteria are rod-shaped chemolithoautothrophs with an aerobic metabolism. While they do not grow by photosynthesis, their unusual metabolic behavior involves burning ammonia with oxygen. Long, thin membranes inside the bacteria's cell use electrons from ammonia's nitrogen atom to produce energy. In order to complete cell division, they must consume vast amounts of ammonia, making the division process last for several days. The cells grow either in pairs or short chains .None of the Nitrobacteraceaeare able to form spores. They have a complex cytomembrane (cell wall) that is surrounded by a slime matrix. All species have limited tolerance ranges and are individually sensitive to pH, dissolved oxygen levels, salt, temperature, and inhibitory chemicals. Unlike species of heterotrophic bacteria, they cannot survive any drying process without killing the organism. In water, they can survive short periods of adverse conditions by utilizing stored materials within the cell. When these materials are depleted, the bacteria die. Nitrosomonas (ammonia-oxidizers) bacteria are harder to kill than Nitrobacter (nitrite-oxidizers) bacteria. If the Nitrobacter bacteria are killed off, the Nitrosomonas bacteria will continue working on the ammonia and you will have a jammed cycle.

I happen to know my stuff in this area. A lot of them will die. I'm not a microbiologist, but I almost was.(y)

Looks very copy and paste to me this lol. It is mainly nitrospira in our aquariums anyway not nitrobacter.

Caliban: 1 Venymae: 0

Nice try! ;)

Fritz Aquatics | Aquarium Products Trusted by Hobbyists and Professionals

http://forum.acvarist.ro/archive/index.php/t-42297.html

Info came from my lecture notes on waste water engineering....same bacteria bigger scale. Unless college taught me wrong :) I think it matters not to the op at this point though.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Info came from my lecture notes on waste water engineering....same bacteria bigger scale. Unless college taught me wrong :) I think it matters not to the op at this point though.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Waste water yes nitrobacter. Aquarium scale nitrospira :)

Alright, I stand corrected. Guess you learn something new everyday ;) (and it WAS totally copy and paste. lol right from my professors notes. haha)

Want to THANK everyone who replied to this Thread. I can be "hardheaded" (I blame it on age..LOL), but got some VERY GOOD advice/recommendations.:thanks: (y)

Have to admit, you guys are VERY GOOD at this "fish keeping" thing!;)

We are going with the 100% water change and Prime, 24 hrs later comes SafeStart and the BEAUTIFUL male Betta that we pick.

Well let you know how things progress.

Again, THANKS!! :thanks:

Good luck with it :)

Also I'd have the nitrates around 40 for common hardy fish when cycled. 160 is quite high. If you want some links I can send through.

Back
Top Bottom