Help - ich + cycling new 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here's the background: I started off with a 2 gallon with one betta. After a few days, I added 2 African dwarf frogs and the pet store gave us a baby platy for free. Aware that this tank is overcrowded, I tried to maintain the ammonia levels with frequent water changes while planning to save up and upsize. What ended up happening is during a water change for the 2 gallon, the tank started to leak quite a bit. I transferred all 4 animals into cups and returned the tank to the store, ended up buying a 10 gallon - this all happened yesterday. But furthermore, the betta and baby platy began to exhibit signs of ich.
Anyway, we set up the tank, it has a filter, heater, and air stone. Added some water conditioner and aquarium bacteria and added all 4 animals. The betta is freaking out, and I'm beginning to think this tank is not suitable for her because of the water commotion d/t the filter and bubbles, so I was thinking of returning her. I quickly realized bettas prefer still water. :(. But as for the ich problem, I was going to try and solve it simply by heat (86 degrees). As I researched salt and medication are bad for the frogs. My big problem is how to go about this while cycling the tank. How often should I do water changes? Does it need to be daily, or every other day? What percentage of water should I remove? I'm stressed out about this whole thing and beginning to think I may lose these pets, and if that just so happens, how do I proceed cycling? I'm a novice at fishkeeping and just want to know what y'all think my best approach would be. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi, do you have an API freshwater master test kit? You can monitor for ammonia and ph and (depending on ph) change water when say above 0.25% ammonia. Also seachem prime will detoxify ammonia for 24hrs or so.

Hi, do you have an API freshwater master test kit? You can monitor for ammonia and ph and (depending on ph) change water when say above 0.25% ammonia. Also seachem prime will detoxify ammonia for 24hrs or so.

Thank you. No I don't have a master test kit but I ordered one on amazon yesterday and it should get here next week. So far I have only been testing ammonia daily and doing a 25% water change probably every other day and adding SeaChem stability. Im trying to keep the ammonia below 0.25ppm. I have been researching as much as I can about cycling with ich, with not much good news. Today we're returning our female betta, she just can't handle the water commotion in the new 10gal with the air stone and filter. That leaves us with the baby platy and 2 African Dwarf Frogs. Do you have experience treating ich with success? I'm doing the heat only method but now I've read that the heat will not annihilate the parasite, the only way to ensure complete riddance of it is to treat additionally with salt or meds. No way am I using medication as I've had bad experience with that in the past, killed my froggies. I really wanna watch this baby platy grow and keep these frogs, just want some opinions on the safest route with greatest assurance of survival. I know survival is not guaranteed, esp. since I just began doing a fish-in cycle with these guys. Anyway, thanks for your help and any extra advice is greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the delay, the link below should help. I've treated with meds only, with heat only and meds/heat combo (last one not generally done).

Other threads have also used heat method quite successfully. No hesitation suggesting it, works I would guess most times when tried.

Personally they all can work, my preference depends on what tank temp was (ie how great change will be on fish) and risk of bacterial infection (for me higher risk at higher temps). And only treat maybe every so often so not like I'm seeing ich often so to speak.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Back
Top Bottom