Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help Lowering pH!!

Hello! I recently set up a 20 gallon aquarium, cycled of course, and have found my pH is at 7.8. I just added 1 gourami and 10 neon tetras, along with a couple of plants today. I need help lowering the pH as my gourami seems stressed. Any help is welcome!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

PH, KH And GH in Depth

It's aimed at koi but the science is the same.

J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaffooJ View Post
Hello! I recently set up a 20 gallon aquarium, cycled of course, and have found my pH is at 7.8. I just added 1 gourami and 10 neon tetras, along with a couple of plants today. I need help lowering the pH as my gourami seems stressed. Any help is welcome!
Your pH is just fine, there's no need to change it as a stable pH is far better than one that changes. The fish will adapt to 7.8 quite nicely. The gourami is just stressed from being added to a new tank.

How did you cycle this tank?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Agree don't change your ph.. Ph has always been higher than 7.6 and my fish have adapted nicely.. A stable environment is always better than changes every time you do a water change
Old 06-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha, good to know. The pH has stayed like that for about a week, so hopefully it won't change. I cycled the tank by letting the filter run with a pad in it, put dirty gravel from my 55 gallon into it, squeezed juice into the water from a filter pad in my 55g, cranked the heater up to about 80F, and let it sit for a month. All nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia have been at 0 for the past week, so I thought I would buy some fish and plants. I hope they adjust nicely. Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 06-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaffooJ View Post
Haha, good to know. The pH has stayed like that for about a week, so hopefully it won't change. I cycled the tank by letting the filter run with a pad in it, put dirty gravel from my 55 gallon into it, squeezed juice into the water from a filter pad in my 55g, cranked the heater up to about 80F, and let it sit for a month. All nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia have been at 0 for the past week, so I thought I would buy some fish and plants. I hope they adjust nicely. Thanks for all the help guys!!
If you let it sit for a month without an ammonia source than all the BB you added are likely dead I would suggest that you keep a close eye on parameters for a while, might be worth trying to add BB again.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The only ammonia source I did was add couple of food pellets to the tank every now and then. Good idea to keep an eye on the parameters. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes leave your ph anyone who tells you different don't listen to them. There is no need to mess with a stable environment unless your breeding! Discus have bred in that ph!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Yes leave your ph anyone who tells you different don't listen to them. There is no need to mess with a stable environment unless your breeding! Discus have bred in that ph! Now to think of it same with a pair of my rams.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com