Help me create the perfect fry tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Currently I have around thirty Molly fry in a breeder (not the best environment for young.)
So I have decided to take on my second tank ( I have I my had my first two months!)

However I won't to create the best environment for these guys as possible

It a twenty four litre tank

Any tips I would be grateful for :
Deco
Plant
Food
Steps
Anything

I have new fry from my molly. im about to move them to a 15 gal. im new to this so all i know is to make sure they have lots of plant life to hide in and feel comfy and safe. also block the intake of your filter with some sort of sponge to stop them from getting sucked in. i know that there is a special type of guppy food but i just crush the adult food into iddy bitty little dusty powder and they like it enough.

Currently I have around thirty Molly fry in a breeder (not the best environment for young.)
So I have decided to take on my second tank ( I have I my had my first two months!)

However I won't to create the best environment for these guys as possible

It a twenty four litre tank

Any tips I would be grateful for :
Deco
Plant
Food
Steps
Anything
Hey, for decor i would use bushy type fake plants, fern etc. Decor/plants is not essential.
Food, i highly recommend Hikari First Bites. I used to use crushed/powdered regular food but i find they prefer the First Bites. It has all the essential stuff that fry need. When feeding, i always switch off my filters, airstones a few mins before feeding and for 5/10mins after. It stops food going everywhere and gives the fry a chance to eat. You need to feed them 4 times a day. Small bits at a time.
Cover your filter with a pre-filter sponge(if you have a filter with a pipe inlet). It's basically a cylinder shaped sponge with a hole in it and slide over the inlet pipe, stop fry getting sucked up. If using any other filter, get some CHEAP ladies tights, brand new and rinsed in water beforehand. Cut the ankle part off and place the vents or whole filter into this, like a sock, secured with an elastic band if needed. Again stops fry getting suck in....
If your filter is quite strong, try and reposition it or lift it slightly above the water. They don't like very strong currents. I turn my heater up to 27C(80f)..
I am currently raising 50 guppy fry this way and have only lost 2 so far....
Remember you still need a cycled filter for this tank. I used the sponge from a well established internal filter, so my fry tank was instantly cycled. You don't need much BB as they are fry and won't produce much bio-load. If you can get some media or sponge from a cycled filter that would be ideal. Once there, the BB will grow as the fry grow.
Hope this helps.....

Thanks how would you cycle the tank faster and should I just simply take a the two sponges out of my old tank and put then in the new then replace them

No, because then you would be taking all of the BB out of your other tank. Go to a mom and pop lfs and see if they will give you some filter media.

No, because then you would be taking all of the BB out of your other tank. Go to a mom and pop lfs and see if they will give you some filter media.
Scottyhorse is right, don't take all the media out of one filter. If you have a canister, you could take a piece of sponge or a few noodles, thus not loosing all of you BB. Alternatively, you could get some media from an established tank and squeeze(gunk as well) it on the pad/foam in the new filter. This would transfer some BB. Remember you don't need much BB as it will multiple as your fry grows....

Back
Top Bottom