Help me decide what to stock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azuroo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 30 gallon tall tank is up and running...and in a couple weeks I am going to start adding some new fish. My LFS says to only add 3 or 4 fish at a time every two or three weeks.

Currently in the tank I have the following (the only survivors of the tank crack disaster):

1 white skirt tetra (who is SIX years old!)
2 cherry barbs
1 red phantom tetra, who ended up in my bag of fish by mistake somehow but turns out he's a fun fish.
1 mystery fish--my husband selected a school of three a few months ago, and can't remember the name! It's a cat fish or shark of some kind, grey/white with black stripes, only comes out in the dark, and during the day flutters in hiding in the rock cave, about the length of my index finger. I'm going to figure out which fish it is when I go back to the LFS to restock.
There are also lots of little MTS.

I think I am going to add one or two more white skirt tetras, because they like to be in a school.
Also one or two more red phantom tetras. The one I have seems to be insecure, he nips.
A pleco of some kind.
Maybe one or two more of the mystery fish, because they are also schooling fish.
I would also like to add something else fun for my toddler to watch, but I don't want to over stock. In the past we've enjoyed kuhli loaches, guppies, and mollies.

I have four live plants, driftwood, and a large rock cave in the tank too, by the way.

Any advice on the total numbers of fish you would add? How many of each kind would you put in the tank?

Are you sure your tank is adequately cycled? I get the impression the 30g is new, and possibly an upgrade from another tank?

Make sure it's cycled, if it isn't you're not going to want to add any additional fish until it is.

Definately get some more tetras, as they are much happier and active and playful in schools.

A small pleco, such as a bristlenose, may be a good choice. Also consider some corydoras, good cleanup and fun to watch. They also like to be in schools, so consider 3-4 of the smaller ones. There's many different types to choose from.

My 30 gallon tall tank is up and running...and in a couple weeks I am going to start adding some new fish. My LFS says to only add 3 or 4 fish at a time every two or three weeks.

Currently in the tank I have the following (the only survivors of the tank crack disaster):

1 white skirt tetra (who is SIX years old!)
2 cherry barbs
1 red phantom tetra, who ended up in my bag of fish by mistake somehow but turns out he's a fun fish.
1 mystery fish--my husband selected a school of three a few months ago, and can't remember the name! It's a cat fish or shark of some kind, grey/white with black stripes, only comes out in the dark, and during the day flutters in hiding in the rock cave, about the length of my index finger. I'm going to figure out which fish it is when I go back to the LFS to restock.
There are also lots of little MTS.

I think I am going to add one or two more white skirt tetras, because they like to be in a school.
Also one or two more red phantom tetras. The one I have seems to be insecure, he nips.
A pleco of some kind.
Maybe one or two more of the mystery fish, because they are also schooling fish.
I would also like to add something else fun for my toddler to watch, but I don't want to over stock. In the past we've enjoyed kuhli loaches, guppies, and mollies.

I have four live plants, driftwood, and a large rock cave in the tank too, by the way.

Any advice on the total numbers of fish you would add? How many of each kind would you put in the tank?

The catfish sounds like Pimelodus ornatus. You can look here to see if its your guy. Just occurred to me it might be Platydoras costatus.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom