Help me make up my mind on a tank! 20G or 40G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I am indecisive, I have a couple threads regarding a 20 Gallon build but now am rethinking it, what can I say, help me out!

20 gallon
20 gallon tank - $39
fluval 205 filter - $129
fluorite black sand (45 lbs) $60
T5HO lighting $139
Bulbs $60
total $427

Osaka 40 gallon (beautiful tank!)
tank/stand/lighting/bulbs - $399
fluval 305 filter - $159
fluorite black sand (90 lbs) $120
total $678

The 20 gallon is more within my budget, but for an extra $250 I get a beautiful stand (no stand with 20 gallon, would be on a table), bigger filter, and bigger tank so the value side of me kicks in to spend the bit extra and get something twice as big in a really nice looking tank. The other side of me kicks in and says you have been in this hobby for 2 years, I have kept it up well but have not necessarily caught "the bug" and have not needed a bigger tank so far so why not go with the 20 for now and perhaps do a large upgrade in the future, that $200 could go elsewhere now. As well using the same lighting on both tanks, the 20 will be a much higher light tank so I could do more with it, does the duel 24W T5 give alot of light to the osaka 155 which is 24" deep? Or would I need to factor adding some lighting? Ahhh I dunno! at least I have some driftwood soaking whichever root I go!
tongue.gif

So guys and girls, what do you think?

Also if anyone can recommend a good canister filter for the Fluval Osaka I would appreciate it, so I can get a better estimate of cost.

I have a few options:
Fluval 305
Rena XP2
Eheim 2213

What about the eheim professional class? I am looking for a good quality unit that is easy to clean and will be good and reliable, I don't mind spending a bit extra on the filter!

Thanks!

well i think most people here would agree that bigger is better. however, if you are set on a high-light planted tank, and the 20 will be easier to light, you might want to go that route. on the other hand, there are plenty of low light plants that you could make a 40g look amazing with. i would go for the 40g if you have the ability to now. you'd probably want to upgrade sooner than you think if you when with the 20. :D

well i think most people here would agree that bigger is better. however, if you are set on a high-light planted tank, and the 20 will be easier to light, you might want to go that route. on the other hand, there are plenty of low light plants that you could make a 40g look amazing with. i would go for the 40g if you have the ability to now. you'd probably want to upgrade sooner than you think if you when with the 20. :D

Thanks for your reply, I am also leaning towards the 40 gallon. So the 40 gallon which is a 24" tall tank, with 48W of T5 fluorecent lighting, this would only give me the ability for low light plants? How much light would I need for a tank like this if I wanted to go high light in the future? or is it too difficult with the height of the tank?

i don't think it would be difficult to light for high light, but probably expensive. with the height of the tank i think you will probably need at least 200w of light over the tank for high light plants, plus CO2 and ferts are always a good idea with so much light. with only 48w it's only slightly more than 1wpg, and not even all of that will reach the bottom where your plants are, but i personally think low light plants like crypts, anubias, java fern, maybe even ludwigia, would all do fine.

i don't think it would be difficult to light for high light, but probably expensive. with the height of the tank i think you will probably need at least 200w of light over the tank for high light plants, plus CO2 and ferts are always a good idea with so much light. with only 48w it's only slightly more than 1wpg, and not even all of that will reach the bottom where your plants are, but i personally think low light plants like crypts, anubias, java fern, maybe even ludwigia, would all do fine.

Thats the problem I seem to be having, while a very nice tank, if I did want to go high light with it eventually if I would run into problems. It seems I could fit a 150W MH pendant light down the centre, but thats still only 150W, and the tank is not large enough for more MH lighting. Even if I ran 4 double 24" T5 strip lights (8 24W T5 bulbs) I would only be at 192W.

go with the 40g, ditch the stand and make one yourself for a very cheap price, since you are going planted, ditch the flourite and go with eco-complete ( this is just me about the substrate )

well that would definetly save me some money, unfortuneatly its a kit, comes all as one unit.

oh... its a kit.... than i wouldnt buy any IMO, i personally like to pick my own stuff for my aquarium and you never know, do enough digging, it might actually be cheaper

Is it a 20long or 20high? I personally regret getting the 20High. If it were up to me I would get a 40 breeder for sure.

its a 20 long, and the 40 gallon is the Fluval Osaka 155, so it comes with the tank which has rounded glass fronts (only seems in back) the stand, and t5 HO lighting.

Mr.Pet's

I think I will probly end up with the Osaka 40 gallon, its a much nicer tank for not too much more money, I will just have to upgrade the lighting eventually, and have found some nice TEK lighting or perhaps a pendant MH @ 150-250W which should give me plenty.

whoops thought that was the 20 gallon. anyways, that is probably going to be a challenge to make a high light setup because it's so tall and narrow, but i'm sure it's possible to a certain extent.

Back
Top Bottom