Help me pick another fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppies only fight over females. If you have no females, they don't really miss anything. If you think about it...breeders usually seperate out the sexes to prevent inbreeding and unwated breeding in general. Males are even sold in most stores seperate from females. Both sexes are fine without the other.

Many people choose to keep only males for their colour and fins. It is purely a choice. Guppies are very peaceful in general. You should not have to worry about them fighting over anything but food. :D

You have tons more room...from my calculations...not that the 1 inch per gallon is a real rule, but you would only be stocked at 24 inches in your 50 gallon with three guppies.

The fish you have selected are very small and are not very messy at all.

I know that the inch per gallon rule isn't really that accurate but I'm curious where you got 24 inches from. Based on my research of the different fish at their adult size I've come up with...

6 Danios @ 1.5"
3 swordtails @ 4"
3 weather loaches @ 9"
1 bristlenose @ 5"

Total = 53"

I know that the inch per gallon rule isn't really that accurate but I'm curious where you got 24 inches from. Based on my research of the different fish at their adult size I've come up with...

6 Danios @ 1.5"
3 swordtails @ 4"
3 weather loaches @ 9"
1 bristlenose @ 5"

Total = 53"

Tis true the 1 in/gal rule is bullocks. I believe you can stock your tank many different ways amd if maintained properly one can keep a healthy tank. Since you do not have to worry about agressiveness, it will be best to consider adult size and waste production in stocking your tank.

As for measuring...I did not add in the bristlenose. Missed that when referring to your other stocking post. They are more "poopy" than your other fish.

As for weather loaches being 9'', tis true...but I have never seen one ever get that big in captivity. I didn't even know they were supposed to get that big until I looked it up just now. I thought they only reached 6" or so. I have heard of these guys in Canada in the drainage ways. There are news reports of them getting pretty large there :D, even though they are not really supposed to be loose in the drainage systems. I think people dump them in there.

Having said all that, the bioload for your tank with what you have selected even once they are all full grown adults will be fairly low. And unlike the other fish you have selected, guppy males are only 1.5-2, some even smaller depending on their genes. Don't count their tales in that measure.

I would not worry too much about being overstocked with adding three guppies. I am guessing that everything you are stocking is not yet full grown yet...which means less waste due to smaller portions of food. They will all grown up and into your 50 gallon tank. As long as you don't allow the mollys to being a fry factory you should be able to maintain your tank with weekly water changes. You will know if you are overstocked once everyone is an adult as you might see your water parameters become unstable with the same maintanence routine. I doubt this would be the case with what you have selected assuming that you would not add anything else and would not keep any molly fry in the same tank.

I would be curious to see how big your loaches do get. Be sure to post pictures of em :D.

I think I need to find space for another tank. After looking around the fish store today I think I want another weather loach, maybe half a dozen rasboras or white cloud minnows plus the 3 guppies but I'm pretty sure that'd be way to much for a 50g.

6 danio
3 swordtail
1 bristlenose
4 weather loach
3 male guppies
6 white clouds

I think I need to find space for another tank. After looking around the fish store today I think I want another weather loach, maybe half a dozen rasboras or white cloud minnows plus the 3 guppies but I'm pretty sure that'd be way to much for a 50g.

6 danio
3 swordtail
1 bristlenose
4 weather loach
3 male guppies
6 white clouds

Brilliant! The more tanks the merrier. Definitely keep us posted. Sounds like you should go hunting on craigslist for a good deal on a new tank :D.

Also, I meant to phrase it as a question but I just want to be sure. The stocking list I put above, that is too much for a 50g right? :)

Also, I meant to phrase it as a question but I just want to be sure. The stocking list I put above, that is too much for a 50g right? :)

Well yes and no....while they are smaller no...but at full grown size it might be pushing it. Good news....you have room to aquire a new tank :D...bad news....if you don't account for things, you might end up needing a bigger tank. Oh wait, that is also good news.

Basically, you have room while they are still juveniles. I would keep this in mind. You could certainly stock them like this now....and since you are considering another tank, or if you are considering an upgrade in the future...it is really up to you. Either way I would stock it slowly. Put them in one posse at a time. That way you can monitor any fluctuations in your water parameters. Adding them all at once would be a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom