Help me pick another fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I asked this question in the chat yesterday and figured I'd post it here to get more input. I have a 50 gallon breeder that is currently cycling. The current plan are to put in 6 zebra danios/glofish, 3 red velvet swordtails and 3 weather loaches. I think eventually I'll be able to safely put something else in there and I'm trying to figure out what type of fish to get. I think I'm mostly looking for something that can happily live in the tank with the other fish and preferably something that doesn't need to be kept in a school. Just trying to get a lone fish that stands out from the others.

So far I've had recommendations of a Severeum or a Rainbow Cichlid. The tank will likely be kept at right around 75 degrees.

So I asked this question in the chat yesterday and figured I'd post it here to get more input. I have a 50 gallon breeder that is currently cycling. The current plan are to put in 6 zebra danios/glofish, 3 red velvet swordtails and 3 weather loaches. I think eventually I'll be able to safely put something else in there and I'm trying to figure out what type of fish to get. I think I'm mostly looking for something that can happily live in the tank with the other fish and preferably something that doesn't need to be kept in a school. Just trying to get a lone fish that stands out from the others.

So far I've had recommendations of a Severeum or a Rainbow Cichlid. The tank will likely be kept at right around 75 degrees.

If it was me I wouldn't have cichlids in the same tank as zebra danios and swordtails. Severums can get fairly large, about 8", and most cichlids can be unpredictable.

I recommend something along the lines of dwarf gouramis, you can get some really interesting colours (in the males), they stay fairly small, about 2-3" and are normally really peaceful.

Actually I would stay away from dwarf gourami. The hobby's dwarf gourami's are being plagued by what is being called Dwarf Gourami Disease. It is actually a virus and it is affecting a large number of dwarf gourami. Many lfs aren't even carrying them right now. Read this article: Aquarium trade may have spread gourami virus | Practical Fishkeeping magazine

If you do swordtails, get only one male. Males will fight to the death.

In a tank as large as a 50g, (I have a 55g) you can go so many ways. This is what I have in my 55g: 1 angelfish, 3 pearl gourami, 7 tiger barbs, 20-ish neon tetras, 4 emerald green corycats, 2 yo-yo loaches, 7 otocinclus.

I agree with not mixing cichlids with other freshwater fish, not usually a good idea. Although, I have Bolivian Rams (a type of cichlid, and so are angelfish) and they are the stars of their tank, and they can easily mix with other community fish. They are a lot of fun, they don't get too big, and they are colorful. You could easily consider a trio of them as your "centerpiece" and go from there. Tiger barbs are also a lot of fun. You could have 6-7 of those as your centerpiece. You wouldn't be bored either way, and they'd be more fun than any single fish that I can think of.

Your tiger barbs dont bother the smaller fish in your 55? My tiger barbs in my 84G even harassed the bigger fish. I eventually had to give them away. I did only have 3. Maybe that was the issue.

It was because you only had three of them. When kept in numbers of 6 or more they will usually stay within their own ranks. Mine do. There's something magic about tiger barbs and the number 6, not sure what it is, but I've heard it repeatedly.

It was because you only had three of them. When kept in numbers of 6 or more they will usually stay within their own ranks. Mine do. There's something magic about tiger barbs and the number 6, not sure what it is, but I've heard it repeatedly.
I tried having 10 but ended having to take them back to LFS because they were nipping everyone they could catch.

I've been thinking of going with a school of mountain minnows or something. Because of the weather loaches I'm likely going to be keeping the tank right around room temp., 72 or so which limits my choices.

A couple ideas...guppies and zebra danios. I recently got some long finned gold zebra danios. They are really fun to watch and are very nice peaceful, but active community fish. They also tolerate lower temperatures fairly well, as low as mid 60s. They also look different from the straight zebras having a nice gold color, blushing cheeks and long fins all over. Guppies are nice for their color and are also tolerant of cooler, not cold water. A number of tetra can also fit your bill, but some of the cooler water tolerant ones eat plants like crazy. Is your tank planted?
If not you might consider...Bloodfin Tetra (mid 60s ok), croaking tetra, or Beunos Aires Tetra (these guys may devour your plants).

BTW, red velvet swordtails are very nice :)

I thought guppies required rather high temperatures?

Actually the ideal temp for adult guppies is 72-76. The guppy fry like it warmer, but guppies are well within your 75F temp range. They can certainly tolerate warmer water up to 82F. So, if you like guppies, they are easy to get and come in a variety of nice colours. :p

Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had further suggestions. Still looking into guppies but I'm worried about the danios nipping at their fins. Right now the tank is as follows.

50 gallon
72-74 degrees depending on time of day
5 zebra danios/ 1 pearl danio
3 swordtails
3 weather loaches
3 ghost shrimp

I've also added a Koralia 2 so there is a pretty good current especially along the bottom.

had you thought about platties? i think red wag platties are really beautiful fish, i dont think you would have a problem with the danios any way you go

I used to keep zebra danios with guppies and didn't have any fin nipping problems. Danios seem happy to play in currents and bubbles. For awhile ours would school with the guppies. The only problem we ever had, and it wasn't really a problem, was the danios would follow the females around when they started giving birth to eat the fry.

Oh I also forgot that I have a bristlenose pleco, I can't believe I forgot about Wanda!

Hmmm so it sounds like guppies might work afterall, are they ok with pretty steady water movement? I think my biggest concern right now is overstocking.

Oh I also forgot that I have a bristlenose pleco, I can't believe I forgot about Wanda!

Hmmm so it sounds like guppies might work afterall, are they ok with pretty steady water movement? I think my biggest concern right now is overstocking.

Yay Wanda!

I think guppies could work in your setup. They are fast enough swimmers for the danios not to cause them too many problems. If you are worried about overstocking just get all males rather than stocking a couple females per male. As I am sure you know...if you stock the females, you shall be the proud owner of many many fry to come. :D

Yay Wanda!

I think guppies could work in your setup. They are fast enough swimmers for the danios not to cause them too many problems. If you are worried about overstocking just get all males rather than stocking a couple females per male. As I am sure you know...if you stock the females, you shall be the proud owner of many many fry to come. :D

Is it ok to keep like 2 or 3 males together with no females? wont' they fight?

Back
Top Bottom