Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help me put together the perfect luxury home for a Betta.

In a very near future I'll have a new office space that will give me room to a tank. After some struggle (Fresh or salt, high end or simple, betta or guppies, fish or shrimp) I realized that a single male betta will be a perfect fit for me.

For the last week or so I have been doing my homework. What started as "let's just buy a self contained nano-cube and I'm all set" clearly evolved to something more elaborated. Brian_Nano12G has been very helpful. Actually, so helpful that we e-mailed each other over 10 times within the last 24hrs, leading to my private communication being suspended. (Brian, if you are reading this, sorry, I am not rude, the forum doesn't let me reply to you!).

Here is what I have so far. I don't want my budget to go way over US$200.00, so here it is:

Tank: low iron Mr. Aqua 12"x12"x12" glass cube on amazon for about 60 bucks;

Light: AL-12WM: Finnex FugeRay Unibody Ultra Slim LED Fixture - 12" Daylight +Moonlights. About 50, and my understanding this will allow me to have some decent plants to keep everything sharp.

Heater: mini heater from hydor (15W) for about 15 bucks.

Now I need help with a good filtration system for a 6.6g tank that will not create a lot of current. As you know, Bettas are not strong swimmers and they like little to no current.

Plants will come once I read more, but with this light I believe I will not have any trouble with them suffering. If you have any suggestions, please add them here. Just be nice and don't use acronyms, and if a link is available, it is a lot easier for you to add a link than for me to google 30 of them.

Same thing about gravel, substrate, ornaments and (if necessary) the silk plants. I do like the looks of driftwood as background, with "grass" and smooth stones in the middle. something like this (plus the smooth stones) would be perfect:

Thank you for your help in advance.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you need a low current filter look into sponge filters. Never used them but they're supposed to be good for betas. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The filter I use on my betta tank is a tetra whisper 10. Mines a ten gallon but I think it'd work just fine for 6.6.
It makes virtually no noise and barely agitates the water at all.
I used to have a more powerful filter but after switching to this one my betta is much more active.

I also like sponge filters. You just plug an air pump in and you're good to go.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you. I'll start reading about them but hopefully someone with more experience than me can narrow down my search to one or two options. These things are so overwhelming. My "official" hobby is fixing and selling antique bikes. Sometimes I am talking to some people and I can see that I am being too technical. Now I know how it feels. D:
Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh I also think you should consider sand as a substrate. I used to use gravel but have switched all my tanks to sand and I love the look
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
Oh I also think you should consider sand as a substrate. I used to use gravel but have switched all my tanks to sand and I love the look
I know! Sand, specially if predominantly dark but with hints of white sand somewhere, makes the tank so classy!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second the sand idea. I also like crypts and anubias for plants. Have you considered getting some kind of shrimp as tank mates? Some Bettas will leave them alone. I just have cheap ghost shrimp and they are doing well. They are hard to see so its fun to look for them. (might be a good distraction for stressful times at work)
Best wishes for your new tank!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

also if you do plants whose roots are in the sand like crypts you will need root tabs to fertilize. Anubias needs to be attached to driftwood or stones. I use rubber bands but some prefer fishing line or thread.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As the project unfolds, one of the main items that I have no clue where to start is the center piece ornament. I don't mind something common like the Buddha, the oriental architecture or even the Walmart stone, but if anybody here can inspire me with something not so common, that would be g r e a t.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguerra
As the project unfolds, one of the main items that I have no clue where to start is the center piece ornament. I don't mind something common like the Buddha, the oriental architecture or even the Walmart stone, but if anybody here can inspire me with something not so common, that would be g r e a t.
What about driftwood if you want to go natural?
you could have driftwood and stones and live plants, it would be a cool all natural tank (if that's What you're going for)
And about anubias, I've had great success leaving it in the plastic pot it comes in. (If you don't mind the look)

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com