Help me start my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevoholic

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off hello. First time poster here. I currently have my Betta in a 1 gallon mini bow. He's been living with no maintenance at all. I haven't done any water changes, but he does have a filter. I recently purchased a 5.5 gallon glass tank to give him some more room.

I have everything set up in the new tank and am currently cycling the tank with shrimp pellets and tropical flakes. My ammonia is still reading 4.0ppm so I know it's not done cycling yet. The only thing in the tank right now is a Nerite Zebra Snail. I give him one algae wafer every day.

I'm thinking about adding a few ghost shrimp down the line one I get the tank fully cycled. I will be adding the Betta in last to hopefully avoid any territorial issues.

I would like to add at least one more fish or maybe an African Dwarf Frog.

Do you think the frog would mess with the shrimp?
What other kinds of fish would you guys recommend adding in that would work well with a Betta?

Hi and welcome!

If the current betta tank has a filter, just move it to the 5 gal and run it with the new filter (or add the filter media from the current filter to the new one if it fits) then move the betta over. The filter from your current tank will instantly cycle it for the betta and I'm sure he'd appreciate more room now. Does the new tank have a heater? Bettas like it warm, 78-80 degrees F. You might want to read this article on tank maintenance: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As for tank mates, shrimp and a snail or two are the only other things that will fit in a 5 gal with a betta (if the betta tolerates them). Most fish are too small for a 5 gal and with the betta in there there isn't room for anything else. Even ADFs require at least a 10 gal as they prefer groups of at least 3.

Hi and welcome!

If the current betta tank has a filter, just move it to the 5 gal and run it with the new filter (or add the filter media from the current filter to the new one if it fits) then move the betta over. The filter from your current tank will instantly cycle it for the betta and I'm sure he'd appreciate more room now. Does the new tank have a heater? Bettas like it warm, 78-80 degrees F. You might want to read this article on tank maintenance: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As for tank mates, shrimp and a snail or two are the only other things that will fit in a 5 gal with a betta (if the betta tolerates them). Most fish are too small for a 5 gal and with the betta in there there isn't room for anything else. Even ADFs require at least a 10 gal as they prefer groups of at least 3.

Should I just drop the filter from the 1 gallon tank into the water and let it float around? What about filtration for the 1 gallon tank then? I don't have another filter to put into the one gallon tank for the Betta until I get it moved over. Since I've already been fishless cycling should I clean out all of the food remnants before adding the 1 gallon filter?

I do have a heater for the 5.5 gallon. I keep it around 78-80.

How long does it normally take for posts to be approved? I had written a reply to librarygirl last night and it said it wouldn't be posted until it was approved.

How long does it normally take for posts to be approved? I had written a reply to librarygirl last night and it said it wouldn't be posted until it was approved.

Mine has always posted instantly

Well, that one posted now so I have no idea...Anyway, I just did a water test and out of the tap my pH is around 7.6 and now it has risen to 8.0. Is this natural as the tank goes on? Does the increase in Ammonia have an affect on the pH?

Could it be the addition of the snail?

Well, that one posted now so I have no idea...Anyway, I just did a water test and out of the tap my pH is around 7.6 and now it has risen to 8.0. Is this natural as the tank goes on? Does the increase in Ammonia have an affect on the pH?

Could it be the addition of the snail?

Ammonia levels could raise the ph but a snail wouldn't have enough bioload to raise the ammonia that much. Your ph may be balancing out now. Tap water ph may doesn't necessarily mean that will be your aquarium ph. So water changes could raise or lower ph. Most likely lower.

So your tap water is 7.6 and your aquarium is 8? Or tap water has risen to 8?

So your tap water is 7.6 and your aquarium is 8? Or tap water has risen to 8?

Tap water is measuring 7.6. The water in the tank is measuring 8 now. It was 7.6 the day I put it in my tank. I'm currently fish less cycling so the ammonia is already elevated.

So I'm wondering if the rise is pH rise is due to the elevated ammonia or if it just happens over time?

Also is a pH of 8 too much for a Betta?

Tap water is measuring 7.6. The water in the tank is measuring 8 now. It was 7.6 the day I put it in my tank. I'm currently fish less cycling so the ammonia is already elevated.

So I'm wondering if the rise is pH rise is due to the elevated ammonia or if it just happens over time?

Also is a pH of 8 too much for a Betta?

Yea the water is balancing out in the tank. Usually give your tank 24 hours after the addition of water to test. It shouldn't change much after that. The ammonia is most likely the main cause of the rise in ph. I would try to lower the ph if you can. After your cycle completes the ph should decrease a little. Just depends on how much though. I believe bettas like a more neutral ph of 6.8-7.2. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The betta could probably adjust to it but I would definitely say not any higher. That's probably the upper level.

Yea the water is balancing out in the tank. Usually give your tank 24 hours after the addition of water to test. It shouldn't change much after that. The ammonia is most likely the main cause of the rise in ph. I would try to lower the ph if you can. After your cycle completes the ph should decrease a little. Just depends on how much though. I believe bettas like a more neutral ph of 6.8-7.2. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The betta could probably adjust to it but I would definitely say not any higher. That's probably the upper level.

Well, I'm not near enough ready to add the Betta. I'm only 2 weeks into my cycle, so once it's finished I'm definitely going to retest before adding him.

Well, I'm not near enough ready to add the Betta. I'm only 2 weeks into my cycle, so once it's finished I'm definitely going to retest before adding him.

Yea I would just wait to see when the cycle is near the end

Back
Top Bottom