Help my little pleco buddy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a tropical set up going for about 2 months now. The algae had started to build up and so I decided on a red spotted pleco to help with the cleaning tasks!!!

He does a great job but my concern is he is a bit too good and may be running low on algae. What else can I put in the tank for him? I have seen people put cucumber in is that a good idea?

Also, he seems a little paler in colour than when I got him home. Would that be a lack of light. They have the lighting on for about 4 and a half hours a day at present.:hat:

There are sinking wafers that you can use for your pleco. There are both wafers that are meaty and some that are made out of more greens. Usually that will help. The cucumber is a great idea. Make sure to rinse well before you cut it and then just cut off a medium thin slice and you either let it sink on the bottom or get a veggie clip.

Thanks for all the options guys. Zuchini hmm not sure on that one but the other options all sound great. i shall be off to my local aquatic centre after work!!! :D

When I had a pleco, he would get very excited over zucchini! Boil a slice in the microwave - not to cook it but just to soften it - maybe 8-10 seconds. I held it down with a length of thin fishing line and a little fishing weight. Keep the line long enough to come up and out of the tank and the next day it's easier to pull the remnants out.

Not all plecos are algae eater. Try and determine the exact pleco you have and supplement his diet accordingly. PlanetCatfish • Welcome! will help you determine which species if you don't already know. Also most plecos require driftwood in their diet to help with digestion.
All previous suggestions esp the zuc. is good.

Back
Top Bottom