help!! my nitrites are going down ( cycling)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

son2fu

Aquarium Advice Regular
my water parameters are
1ppm ammonia
<.25 nitrites( a couple of days ago, it was 1.5)
5.0 nitrates

i think some of my bacteria might have died when i turned off my filter 2 nights ago, it was off for about 12 hours. could this be the cause?

What was your Nitrates when your Nitrites were 1.5 ? Did you use seeded media or anything to speed the cycle?

Hmm,

Where are you in your cycle? At some point it is normal for your nitrite to go down. Actually it can signal the end of your cycle is near. Can you give more info?

What is the history of ammonia levels? What is your ammonia source? Are you using fish? Shrimp? or Fishless?

SparKy697 said:
Hmm,

Where are you in your cycle? At some point it is normal for your nitrite to go down. Actually it can signal the end of your cycle is near. Can you give more info?

What is the history of ammonia levels? What is your ammonia source? Are you using fish? Shrimp? or Fishless?

its been about 3 weeks.
the ammonia levels were at 5 ppm at the begining, now i keep them at 3-2 ppm.
im using fishless( i use storebought ammonia)

No matter where you are at in the cycle, it will happen eventually. My experience, which isn't much, tells me that since you still have a ways to go since you are still detecting ammonia. I suggest water changes and adding "seeded" material from an established aquarium. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom