Help! Need stocking advice for 15 gallon column tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank looks great!
Just a heads up, beware of aqadvisor. Personally, I see so much inaccuracy in that site that I don't like it at all. Some people like it though, so just make sure to only use it as a guideline and not a final say. That is probably common sense anyways though. :)
2 female platies should be fine. They usually get along ok without picking on each other. Fish are individuals though, so just keep an eye out. If you get 2 that don't look alike, they are more likely to leave each other alone IME. Males and females who look quite different (like, blue mickey mouse vs. red sunset) will often even ignore each other and may not ever even try to breed.
You definitely have too small of a footprint for peppered cories. they get pretty decently sized, especially the female who are extra chubby. Have you looked into any of the dwarf cory species? They are C. habrosus, pygmaeus, and hastatus. I like the C. habrosus the most personally. Though, they are another that would likely need a special order. I also agree that otos would be fine, but wait a bit before getting them. :)

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the C. habrosus - I really really like the look of them! I have been debating the pepper cory idea versus dwarf corys. I was set on the dwarf cory due to the small footprint, but then I read at seriously fish that the dwarf cory is not suitable for a community tank because of it's small size - it will get picked on or gobbled up. So I went back to the peppered Cory idea. If I could safely stock 3 or 4 C. habrosus and then add 2-3 ottos in a few months, I would be thrilled. Do you keep dwarf corys in a community tank? Do they survive/thrive?

If I can make the dwarf corys work in my tank, I would definitely proceed in a few weeks with the C. habrosus... the question is where to get them in my small-ish town!!

Thanks so much for the info.

I don't believe that dwarf cories need a species only tank, though they do need to have tankmates chosen with some care to make sure they get food. However, you are looking at all small species here, so I wouldn't anticipate any sort of issue. I wouldn't put them in with anything big, but you don't have the space for big fish anyways. I have kept them with bumblebee gobies, a platy, bettas (different bettas at different times), clown killifish, otos, shrimp, ember tetras, and glowlight tetras, and probably some other things I am forgetting.
The habrosus is more out-going most times than some of the other dwarf cories. That is why I recommend them over the others. :) They often school around with otos, and it is pretty adorable. I think they are worth trying in your setup. You may want to feed after dark a bit at first while the adjust though.

I don't believe that dwarf cories need a species only tank, though they do need to have tankmates chosen with some care to make sure they get food. However, you are looking at all small species here, so I wouldn't anticipate any sort of issue. I wouldn't put them in with anything big, but you don't have the space for big fish anyways. I have kept them with bumblebee gobies, a platy, bettas (different bettas at different times), clown killifish, otos, shrimp, ember tetras, and glowlight tetras, and probably some other things I am forgetting.
The habrosus is more out-going most times than some of the other dwarf cories. That is why I recommend them over the others. :) They often school around with otos, and it is pretty adorable. I think they are worth trying in your setup. You may want to feed after dark a bit at first while the adjust though.

If I could +1 from my android I would. Dwarf cory are absolutely wonderful community fish when placed with the micro species perfect for a 15g column.

I can envision a cryptocoryne planted tank with a stock list of 10 ember tetra, 5 dwarf cory and 3 otocinclus.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the excellent input!

I have been searching both locally and online to locate some pygmy corys (in particular C. Habrosus also called Salt and Pepper Cory), and they don't seem to be available anywhere at all, so I'm feeling really disappointed about that.

I know I can get Panda Corys. Does anybody have any experience with them? How big do they get and would a group of 3 be appropriate for a 15 g column? I know a larger group is recommended, but the footprint is just too small for more. (Working on my husband for larger tank a few months down the road.)

I'm not ready to get them yet as my tank is not fully established, but wanting to work out my plan.

If you are not ready for them yet anyways, I would vote on just waiting and seeing if you are able to find habrosus when you are ready. I suggest the wet spot. I have pandas in a 20g, and I really think your tank is pushing the limit on them. Once you get down to it, if you still cannot find the dwarf Cories, I would try just a trio of panda and see how it goes. I haven't noticed any real difference in behavior between having 3 or 5. I feel that 3 is fine. 5 is sometimes just the number everybody repeats because other people said it to them IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom