HELP NEEDED !New 6ft by 2ft by 2ft tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all , once again I'm at a dilemma haha . I have an old 3ft tank that currently has my grow out fish from last year (when they were small) so today I picked up a bargain , 6ft fish tank . my small tank has a fluval 406 canister filter running in it at the moment , how should I cycle my new tank ? should I add the old water and the canister filter to the new tank or .... Please help as I have discus which I don't want to lose haha thanks :)

6 by 2 is around 80-110gallons? If so, I would say that you use old tank water mixed with a bit of new water, if you're filter is already cycled. I would recommend another filter if its over 100gallons.

If you could swing it, I'd recommend a couple of Hagen AquaClear 110s on that bad boy...(y)

That size tank your gonna want to use a canister. Seed it with some old media from other filters. Or run the old filters on the new tank. 100 gallon tank I highly suggest canisters.

150 gallons I'd strongly advise against running straight HOB's. that size tank your gonna want a canister. Again this is just my opinion.

I think he can get away with, perhaps, multiple AquaClear 110s if budget allows...

I have a fluval 406 running at the moment with a lot of waste from my old tank , also I have plenty of old filters around the place I could possible set up

The old filter media is what holds the bacteria so as long as you use some that has been in your current filters you should be fine the old water really doesnt make a difference . your gonna love the new 6ft tank they are great

Not in mine; but these are, of course, just opinions...

In fact, I have always said that if I set up a super-duper-sized tank like an 80 gallon-plus, I'd do multiple big HOBs like the 110s...(y)

Right... We're talking 150 gallon though... Big difference IMO...

Right... We're talking 150 gallon though... Big difference IMO...

I see your point, but, I did state 80 gallons PLUS... in which I meant massive tanks like mentioned; no doubt, though, that's a TON of water to filter...:eek::blink::blink::blink:

Canister will be the way to go for such a big tank. Less things to look at as well Vs' having 4/5 HOB. Good luck & looking forward to your new project...

Canister will be the way to go for such a big tank. Less things to look at as well Vs' having 4/5 HOB. Good luck & looking forward to your new project...

Thanks I have my fluval 406 on the tank as it has wall the bacteria from the old tank , I also have a large internal filter and the tank look spotless . to acclimatise the fish quicker I only filled the tank half way so I wouldn't shock them going into a large tank straight of and must say there all doing great :D

Back
Top Bottom