Help --- new tank, dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chairman meow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a new 120l tank. The man in the shop said fill it up add safe water and bacteria and some salts turn it on, wait 24hrs and add some fish. This I did but out of the five neons all but one died. I then started googling and thought oh no the tank needs to cycle. I did a ten percent water change and went back to the shop to ask advice. They gave me 4 more fish which again went to the top of the tank stayed there gasping and subsequently died within 3 hrs. I went to a different shop and bought a testing kit which indicated everything was fine with no ammonia present. We had what looked like a bacteria bloom after first 24 hrs. This has cleared. I then went to a different shop and this old man told me to forget bacteria, the tank was fine it was poor stock from the other shop and sold me four more neon tetras. Five of them seem to be swimming quite happily whilst one has again risen to the top and began gasping. I did yet another water change and no improvement. I am extremely new to this yet seem to get conflicting advice from everyone. I have done everything by the book and the test says everything fine. Please can someone help as my kids are starting to get upset. May I add that I have managed to keep a goldfish alive for seven years and I am getting very frustrated now that these fish are dying. What is going on????

First rule...whatever the fish store tells you...do the opposite. Did you use a dechlorinator when you filled the tank?

Yes I used safe water. R u in uk cos it's the tetra stuff. They do safe guard which is the bacteria starter as well. And equilibrium which is the salts. I was also given a phosphate remover to stick between the filters

Chairman meow said:
Yes I used safe water. R u in uk cos it's the tetra stuff. They do safe guard which is the bacteria starter as well. And equilibrium which is the salts. I was also given a phosphate remover to stick between the filters

I'm in Virginia, USA. You said you were using strips to test? Strips are 99% inaccurate in most cases. We've really got to get your full water parameters in order to see what's going on. A tank that new is in the cycling process and is absolutely deadly...especially for neons who are not considered hardy fish.

So do I have to cycle it without fish in it then. And do I have to empty it and start again, with or without the bottled bacteria. And why on earth do shop keepers not tell you all this. I live on the isle of man so we are pretty limited to three fish shops who all say different things.

Chairman meow said:
So do I have to cycle it without fish in it then. And do I have to empty it and start again, with or without the bottled bacteria. And why on earth do shop keepers not tell you all this. I live on the isle of man so we are pretty limited to three fish shops who all say different things.

Shop keepers make money selling fish and products, they make nothing by giving you good advise to care for your fish. I would definitely recommend finding a home for your remaining fish and doing a fishless cycle. In fact, I just posted an article I wrote about fishless cycling. Read it over and you can decide what's the best thing to do- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Chairman meow said:

Bottled bacteria doesn't work in most cases, but occasionally people will say it helped them. It won't cause anything bad, but nothing good is guaranteed.

Most shops are just out for your money; they're a business. How I think of it is this: take why they say for a grain of salt until you know whether it's true or false. AA is a good forum full of people who want you and your fish to be happy. We are not out for your money.

If the fish seem to be in good condition, i.e., no dead fish floating around, or any sick fish being treated, then it's probably safe to buy from there, but don't always take their word for law of fish care.

I hope this helps.

That's real helpful thankyou, but do I leave the neons in there now. Five of them are asleep but there is one still gasping but occasionally going down into body of water. And if they die how long should I leave it before attempting more fish? Your advice is most helpful as like I said I am a complete novice with tropical fish x

Sorry have just read your comment Eco and you have answered my questions  sorry to make you burn your fingers again :)

Chairman meow said:
That's real helpful thankyou, but do I leave the neons in there now. Five of them are asleep but there is one still gasping but occasionally going down into body of water. And if they die how long should I leave it before attempting more fish? Your advice is most helpful as like I said I am a complete novice with tropical fish x

I would try to find a new home for them. A friend, an ad on Craigslist, etc.

Fishless cycling is easier, because you don't have daily PWC to worry about, but partially maddening because of the wait.

Did you read the article that Eco posted about fishless cycle? It's very informative and goes through practically everything you need to know about fishless cycling.

I have just read it now and it's great. I am going to sleep now and fingers crossed the little neons are still alive in the morning so I can take them back to the shop. I wish the shops would give you proper info though. I am really annoyed because the fish didn't have to die and I would be more likely to return to them if they helped start a successful tank. Thanks for your advice to :)

They are all dead apart from the one sole survivor who continued to swim round oblivious to all the carnage he has witnessed. Why is he alive and the rest die?

Chairman meow said:
They are all dead apart from the one sole survivor who continued to swim round oblivious to all the carnage he has witnessed. Why is he alive and the rest die?

A possible reason is the reduced bio load based on the fact that the other ammonia producers passed away. I is also most likely that this fish was the healthiest of all the fish in the tank

Sorry for the frustration. It gets easier once you get your tank properly cycled!

Unfortunately, neons are 1 of the more sensitive commonly available fish in the hobby. I generally recommend fishless cycling, but if one is going to cycle with fish, neons would be almost at the bottom of the list as fish to use. Based on that, I would not really trust much of any "advice" they give you at the store that sold them to you (assuming they KNEW the neons were going into a brand new uncycled tank).

There's also definitely something up with your test kit. You're gonna need to run out and buy an API Master test kit (liquids). I guarantee the results you're getting are inaccurate. You'll need it either way you go, fishless or trying to keep the one alive. Also, neons are schooling fish and are very uncomfortable and stressed when not in a group...so really try to find a home for him, but don't add more until we get this sorted out.

I have had to order a decent test kit online so will have to wait for it to be delivered to this rock. Would it help for me to squeeze the filter from the goldfish tank in cos that guy has been alive for seven years with no problem?

Chairman meow said:
I have had to order a decent test kit online so will have to wait for it to be delivered to this rock. Would it help for me to squeeze the filter from the goldfish tank in cos that guy has been alive for seven years with no problem?

I didn't realize you had another tank! Donate everything you can to the new, but be careful. Everything you take out of the goldfish tank is going to take away from it's biofilter You don't want to save the neon, just to have goldy go upside down.

As long as the goldfish tank is healthy, donate some gravel, or if you have 2 filter pads in with goldy, donate only 1 over to the new guy.

Back
Top Bottom