Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still need to get a new filter bag and test kit before I can do anything I plan on getting them tomorrow

Hey I need to cycle the tank ugh the fish in it...how's that different, what do I do?

Queenie11 said:
Hey I need to cycle the tank ugh the fish in it...how's that different, what do I do?

I don't understand the question. So there's fish in it now? Had you already cleaned it?

For information on cycling...look at the stickies in the Getting Started forum. There's all sorts of article about cycling.

No not yet. I plan on having one at home and one school. I want the cycle the home one, (the messed up filter) without fish, but the one at school I want to cycle with fish in it because I am afraid it would take too long and people keep asking me when I am putting fish in the tank.

We can choose if we want to be in charge of any cages or tanks in our science classroom.

Queenie11 said:
No not yet. I plan on having one at home and one school. I want the cycle the home one, (the messed up filter) without fish, but the one at school I want to cycle with fish in it because I am afraid it would take too long and people keep asking me when I am putting fish in the tank.

We can choose if we want to be in charge of any cages or tanks in our science classroom.

Just make sure you have access to the tank at school all the time. Lots of attention, testing and water changes are needed during a fish-in cycle, especially without seeded media. Stock the tank VERY lightly and VERY slowly at first, always test for toxins and do water changes as necessary with a quality water conditioner as needed.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Ummm I'm only there once every 2 days. But I feel it's important to mention that the tank and everything in it have been used at least once before.

Queenie11 said:
Ummm I'm only there once every 2 days. But I feel it's important to mention that the tank and everything in it have been used at least once before.

Has it had fish recently...as in...within the last week? If not...it'll be starting from scratch.

If you're only able to access it once every couple days...stocking extremely lightly will be of major importance. I don't know how big the tank is (I'm assuming it's small since it's in a classroom), but adding only 1 or 2 small fish is the best move. How big is the tank?

Ummm 3 months ago. I think. But there is a nemo statue. It may have been 3 weeks Idk it came from my teachers tank that had started leaking. And it's also 20 g

Queenie11 said:
Ummm 3 months ago. I think. But there is a nemo statue. It may have been 3 weeks Idk it came from my teachers tank that had started leaking. And it's also 20 g

Anything that is dry or has not been being fed an ammonia (fish waste, food, pure ammonia, etc...) source isn't viable as any type of seeding material.

As far as the tank is concerned...you'll need to view it as brand new.

Fish-in cycling can be done safety if the hobbyist is committed...I'm just nervous since you have very limited access to it. I would definitely do some research on fish-in cycling, what is involved...and choose how many and what type of fish to add initially.

Since it's for a classroom...you can also ask the students who have fish tanks to all donate a piece of filter media. That would basically solve your problem.

I love eco's suggestion, see if anyone is willing to donate media from their tanks with enough you could *almost* instant cycle a tank. Just remember anything donated needs to stay wet. Fish-in cycles are a lot of work pwc's have to be done daily sometimes twice a day.

Yah I don't have time to change the water though...what do I do? The best I could do is once every few days. Tues thurs fri

My vote would be a fishless cycle. I am sure your teacher wouldn't mind adding a little ammonia to the tank when you can't I doubt they would want to do the water changes required for fish-in.

Seeded media from other students would be the best bet. If you did decide to do a fishless cycle...you can tell your teacher and the class that it's a chance to see how the nitrogen cycle works first hand. Especially since it's a science class.

Back
Top Bottom