Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I've been doing a fish in cycle for two weeks and I bought this API test kit about thirty minutes ago and came home and tested the water. These are the readings:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
pH: 8.2

I have been doing 40% water changes daily because I have three zebra danios in the tank. What do you think about the readings??

image-4197742130.jpg

The picture is with my iPhone so lighting is not the best. I've mainly been checking ammonia everyday to make sure it wasn't high.

What size tank? Id' say you're doing very well with the water changes. :) Now that you have test kit, the tests will dictate when to change water and how much. If you see ammonia and/or nitrite rise over .25, time for a water change.

When can I add another (just one fish)??

When ever you want doing a fish-cycle. But the more fish in the tank, the faster ammonia levels will rise requiring more frequent water changes.

I would suggest that before you add any more fish, get a base line reading of how long it takes to let ammonia levels build to 0.25ppm (in other words, don't do any more pwc until you get a 0.25 reading) then you'll have an idea of how fast ammonia rises with the current fish load.

The nitrates will rise as ammonia eating bacteria convert it to nitrites which the next bacteria convert to nitrates. You should see nitrites before nitrates. Unless your tap water contains nitrates like mine. But yeah, don't let amm. or nitrites get much over .25.

Well. Am I safe to go get another fish if they are still all 0 tomorrow??

Back
Top Bottom