Help please with setting up a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heather Lynn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an established tank and an unestablished tank and I was wonder if when I do a water change if I take?

water from the established tank and add it to the unestablished tank if it would speed up the process to having the unestablished take established. I do water changes once a week and I only have an albino frog in the unestablished tank I feed him very little once a day. My unestablished tank is a 39 gallon fish tank with a 20/40 Aqueon filter with a sponge filter. My pH is at 8.2 and my ammonia is at 1.0 and my nitrite is at 0 ppm. It's been like this since I sat up the tank I went to Preuss Pets and they sold me the sponge filter to speed up the process to have an established tank. I also have very hard well water. The sponge filter has been in the tank for 4 days but still no change. My established tank has a pH of 8.2, Ammonia of 0 ppm, and Nitrate of 0 ppm. The established tank is a 10 gallon with a blue lobster and three feeder goldfish. Any suggestions would be great but I don't want to add anything into my tank, I want it to be naturally done.

no the water wont really speed it up bc that's not where the bacteria is. using some gravel or some filter media from the established tank will help though. i might recomend taking the frog out they are worse with ammonia and such bc they have no scales.

I moved my post there. I actually already did the water change today and I only took 3 buckets of water from the established tank and but it into the unestablished tank. I also took the bio bag,an ornament, and gravel out of the established tank and put it into the unestablished tank. I'm not sure how long the process takes to become established but it only took my established tank a month to be ammonia free and it's been about that long with the unestablished tank. I really want fish and would love to speed up this process naturally.

I have only had the frog a week so I really don't think the frog is my problem in my situation. I had some moss plants and I removed them and my Ph level went down a little when I did that also.

Back
Top Bottom